Re: Possible fire near Lake Edison

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 84 , Aug 2 1:47 AM
      Yes, let's hope they get it contained soon. I'll be hiking the JMT soon!!

      From the latest perimeter map, one thing that really stands out to me is those two lobes of fire running toward the east. Based on the topo lines, the northern lobe seems like a typical fire burning up a slope, but the one to the south (just north of the Kaiser Wilderness boundary), is burning across the slope. This is unusual for fire to burn across a slope, and usually only happens when there is a tongue of fire being driven by high winds, or if it was ignited by firefighters (unlikely here, I think).

      So... I'm not watching the weather in that area, but based on the patterns on the map, it looks like the wind is whipped this fire toward the east in the past day. Let's hope the weather calms down before that fire reaches the secondary eastern firebreak.

      By the way, based on the topography, it looks like that secondary eastern firebreak (especially Division F) looks is going to be kinda iffy... they are trying to use existing roads (which is nice to reduce the impacts to the forest, but many of the roads are not in topographically good locations for containing fire, crossing midslope, or along the bottom of drainages... This is how firefighters get killed. However, east of this iffy secondary eastern break, there's not much out there to stop the fire until it runs into the rocky areas near Mono Hot Springs, so they don't have a lot of options.

      Pardon my Monday morning quarter-backing.

      Chris.

      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 10 11:39 PM
        On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Chris <cehauser1@...> wrote:

        This morning they posted what they are saying is the final fire update for the Aspen Fire. For that reason, I'll call this report my final report too. (Also, I'm leaving for my JMT hike this Friday, so the timing is good.)

        Chris - Thanks for the great reports,