Hitting the SHR tomorrow

  • targetdoggmechanic
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
      Picking up my permit from roads end (SEKI) tomorrow to leave bright and early to beat the heat on Saturday. Hope to do the portion from roads end to Bishop Pass trail, drop down to Le Conte, JMT to middle fork trail, up Granite Pass and back to roads end to close the loop about 80 miles in 7 days. Splitting up the SHR in 3 to four segments hopefully. This first segment is the hardest logistically hence the loop and added mileage. Hopefully the smoke clears soon in the north. Will post pics and report upon returning.

      Dogg
    • scriv.ener
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
        It's a great trip, Dogg. Frozen Lake Pass beat me (shouldn't have, but did, give yourself lots of time, even a full day's rest before the attempt), but I've enjoyed all the rest, particularly LeConte Canyon. Best of luck, but most of all, be safe out there. I include a link to my photos.

        ~Jeffrey
        http://www.cartridgeraw.shutterfly.com

        PS: BTW, I think Roper's wrong about the descent to Marion Lake. The three chutes he describes are not the only choice, there's a fourth, farther to the left (north). You'll see it in the pictures back up from the lake. The others are treacherous. First night I stayed at a tarn below Grouse, fabulous views Grouse wouldn't have offered.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "targetdoggmechanic" <targetdoggmechanic@...> wrote:

        > Picking up my permit from roads end (SEKI) tomorrow to leave
        > bright and early to beat the heat on Saturday. Hope to do
        > the portion from roads end to Bishop Pass trail, drop down
        > to Le Conte, JMT to middle fork trail, up Granite Pass and
        > back to roads end to close the loop about 80 miles in 7 days.
        >
        > Dogg

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
          Have a great trip! It is a scenic, rugged, and solitude filled section of the Sierras, and it is awesome. The chute down to Marion Lake is steep, but there is a decent use trail zig-zagging all the way down. Maybe I am not counting the correct chutes, but it looks like the 2nd one from the farthest left, (looking down to the lake from below Red Pass ), from the two times I have done it. Frozen Lake Pass isn't as bad as it seems, just take your time on the first 200' of very steep and loose, sandy terrain on the Upper Basin descent. Lots of talus, and the big ones WILL shift on you, be careful. I had the pleasure of going over it and back over it in one day a couple of weeks ago, and had a very large boulder come out from underneath me. It appeared very stable until I started to step across it and had to make a very quick jump to the next one as it went down, it was a wake up call to plan your talus moves a few steps ahead! Look for bears in Lower Tent Meadow area. I got to watch one for quite awhile there, and he looked at me several times and just went about his business of digging up roots or bugs or whatever he was digging around for. It was cool!

          Have a great trip, look forward to any trip report!