Training Question

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2013
      Good evening,

      I've always been impressed by the breadth of first aid and medical experience within this group; I thought I'd reach out with a question and see what comments it would generate.

      This morning, on the first training walk of the day (I usually do three), I developed some pain and weakness between the inside of my right thigh and my groin. It wasn't enough to stop me (I still had about 3/4 of a mile to get home), but it was sore and it did cause a bit of a limp.

      It has gotten a better all day, although not so much that I did any additional training.

      I have a rest day scheduled tomorrow, anyway, which I'm sure might help.

      Any ideas on what this might be and what the best course of treatment is?

      Right now my plan is to bomb it with ibuprofen for the rest of the day and tomorrow, rest it for a day and a half, and then test it on Saturday.

      I also may do some exercises to strengthen that part of my leg. It sort of feels like the stabilizer muscles in the area are overworked and are not up to the job.

      Thanks, Ray
    • Carolsteveyoung
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
        I have absolutely no medical training but a lot of experience with aches and pains, some not related to hiking partners. What you describe sounds a bit like what I term tumany-candles; started around my 50th birthday. Seriously I'm a big believer in rest days esp. early in trip (day 2 or 3 as a zero day). Hiking partners scoff at first but it works. Of course they still scoff for plenty of other reasons.

        Also seriously try changing the way the boots or shoes are laced, as pressure on the foot can change your gait just a bit. There are different patterns online esp. in the running community.  Stretch out the hamstrings by standing on a step with heel hanging over the edge allowing heel to drop lower than toes. Mine get tight when I train hard. If you are training in boots try walk/run shoes for a week. They allow a lot more ankle movement.

        Steve Young
        Geneva IL

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2013
          Rest and antiinflammatories are what I would try. Don't really know any more than that. I have used Rx Flexeril and Vicodin on occasion when more conservative treatments did not work.