cheap lightweight canister stove

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2013
      Several weeks ago we discussed a cheap canister stove available on the Amazon website:

      http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B004U8CP88/

      $6.00 plus free shipping.

      Mine arrived in the mail a few days ago... took about 2 weeks to ship directly from China. I think the stove is great. Probably slightly lower quality, but otherwise very similar to the SnowPeak GigaPower stove, or the MSR PocketRocket. Weighs about 4oz (including the plastic case), folds into a tiny cube, plus includes Piezo spark ignition.

      I was really enamored with my alcohol stove, but with this year's fire restrictions, I think this thing will do just fine. At 4oz, the canister stove weighs a bit more than my 1oz alcohol stove, but I think it is more fuel efficient. (These canister stoves are supposed to boil a cup of water in about a minute, versus 5 minutes with my alcohol stove). So, from a weight standpoint, it is probably a toss-up.

      Chris.
    • john_friend
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2013
        FYI (about alcohol stoves), the posted signs along the trail that I saw on my just completed SOBO JMT trek said: "No fires except portable camp stoves". There didn't seem to be any intention to limit alcohol stoves.

        I didn't personally have an alcohol stove, but was aware of the prior discussion on the board here so I was paying attention to wording of the posted restrictions.

        --John

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 7:41 AM
          On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM, john_friend <yahoo@...> wrote:
          the posted signs along the trail that I saw on my just completed SOBO JMT trek said: "No fires except portable camp stoves".

          I suspect that the posted restrictions you saw are the ones in effect all the time (generally see them near treeline as they apply only above that). The restrictions on alcohol stoves are this year only and are the result of unusually high fire danger after the low snowpack and wouldn't be reflected in these signs.

        • john_friend
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1 8:33 AM
            No, these restrictions were not the normal no fires above 10,000' restrictions (I saw those signs lots of times). These were hand written and taped to the sign (I should have taken a picture to show you). They were to inform people about no fires anywhere at any altitude in several of the wilderness areas and they explicitly exempted "portable camp stoves".

            --John