Re: Hiking JMT On August 9 . Any.suggestion/partner?

  • Herb
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 31, 2013
      Myo--

      Going without a bear can is not a legal option. It is required on most of the JMT. If a ranger catches you without a can it will mean a significant fine and/or ouster from the trail. And rangers DO check. It does not matter if you think your food does not give off food odors.

      While I hate the bear can all day long in my pack, I do love it in camp. There is no need to hang the food at night or be compelled to camp near a bear box. It saves my food and bears' lives. And makes a passable seat and wash basin.

      Herb

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Myo" <myomgmgtun@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for giving me good advise.
      >
      > The gears are for first time on JMT.
      > I tested Rae lake loop in July
      >
      > Before my reason was
      >
      > Bear can? Probably I won't take it.. If I go with just protein powder and instant noodle.
      > Last two years ago, I did went up to vvr and quit JMT with GG Mariposa pack and bear can..and that years there were lots of falling trees on the trail
      > But I found out that here are lots of bear boxes on the trail.
      > But this time I hope I can hike more faster and easier to get one bear box to next
      > For rain gear? The ground sheet/poncho/pack cover as well
      > + extra wind shirt for vapor barrier
      >
      > So, I can easily do 20 miles a day (what I did Rae lake loop)+ faster to run away from bears
      > And it put very mercy on my knees and I can enjoy every piece of the trail
      >
      > Now I have to consider so many thing .. Thanks to you guys
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hstroh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a ZPack backpack. It is the version with pockets and 2800 cubic inch volume. It does fit a bear can vertically.
      > >
      > > Myo, to me the question is what experience do you have with this gear combination in adverse conditions? There are veterans that hike the PCT in your proposed weight-class, but it is after years of experience in the back country. If you have used this shelter/bag on windy wet conditions and/or nights into the high 20s and low 30s without problems, it will work on the JMT. But if not, I would add rain gear and a layer of warmth that you can sleep in if the night is too cool for your bag. You should also be confident in your ability to pitch your shelter in difficult weather, and that once pitched, the shelter can withstand wind and heavy rain.
      > >
      > > By and large Sierra weather in the summer is quite benign, and the most likely weather scenario is afternoon thunderstorms that last an hour or two. But heavy downpours into the evening or a winter storm is not totally impossible any time of year. You need to have the right combination of gear and experience to remain safe.
      > >
      > > Herb
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Will this model Zpack carry a legal bear can of some type. From MTR (last
      > > > fixed supply point on the trail) to WP is over 100 miles - over 6 days at
      > > > your rate. You will need a bear can and maybe a side trip to resupply
      > > > depending on your speed. The demo of this pack showed it for a 4 day trip.
      > > > I really suggest a spread sheet list of gear with weights. Maybe somebody
      > > > on the site has used this pack on the JMT and can verify its suitability
      > > >
      > > > Neat pack
      > > >
      > > > Joe

    • Wilderness
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 1, 2013
        I recently hiked a pygmy promenade of the PCT (Carson Pass to Donner Summit). The Eldorado NF told me (perhaps in error?) that my alcohol stove was OK. There seems to be lots of confusion about which stoves are allowed. Be careful out there.
        Like Ravi, I have an ULA Catalyst. I figured out a way to determine the maximum length of a Bearikade (custom length) for your pack (horizontal fit, works with vertical alignment too). Tell me if you want the solution (no, not you, Ravi, we already had this discussion).
        For a Catalyst, the max is 11.25", yielding 700 ci of capacity, same as a BV500.
        I'll work on a trip report, which will eventually appear at:

        http://wildernessvagabond.com/reports.htm

        have fun out there,

        Rob of the WV