Re: Possible fire near Lake Edison

    Message 1 of 84 , Jul 31, 2013
      You can go to this site, chose a date and then zoom in on a particular place and get near-realtime sat images.

      http://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/

      Smoke from the Aspen fire clearly visible from the July 30 satellite photos.

      Photo includes Mono Lake in upper right corner, which gives some idea of scale.

      This site would also be helpful in visualizing snow cover in the early part of the hiking season. VVR Facebook page just brought this to my attention.

      On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      Anyone heard anything about a rumored fire near Lake Edison? Two
      people contacted me off-board about a fire moon in the night sky in
      the Mammoth Lakes vicinity and about rumors of a fire in the Lake
      Edison area that supposedly was to be allowed to just burn itself out.
      I can't find anything about it at the usual fire conditions site, so
      it may be one of those odd rumors that springs up. But if you know
      something specific, please share and I'll pass it on.

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707

      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 10 11:39 PM
        On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Chris <cehauser1@...> wrote:

        This morning they posted what they are saying is the final fire update for the Aspen Fire. For that reason, I'll call this report my final report too. (Also, I'm leaving for my JMT hike this Friday, so the timing is good.)

        Chris - Thanks for the great reports,