The Bears Are Coming for YOUR Food!

  • Ray Rippel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
      I saw three bears on my last thru-hike, all a few miles past the Clouds Rest junction. Looks like they're still there!

      Good hiking, Ray

      Ray Rippel
      Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013

        Ray:

        You noted poles stolen on Myo's post.  Is this the same thievery at Trail Crest previously reported or is this another.  I only know of one incident this year.  It would be a shame if this became a real problem.

        Joe

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
            Just one pole-theft incident that I know of. Sorry for the confusion.

          • Bill Heiser
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
              This has been my preferred approach too. I figure what do I have to gain by getting out if my tent in the middle of the night and confronting a bear?  As long as I'm in a place where it won't roll away and get lost, I assume they will play with it a bit and realize there's nothing there for them.

              Occasionally though the campsites are such that there isn't a place to put the canister such that it won't roll away, so then I put it closer to my tent and would try to chase a bear if it bothered it.

              Maybe this is wrong too but so far so good, knock on wood :).

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013

                A vote!.  I put my stove on my Bearikade so it will make noise if it gets knocked off and about 8 yards from my tent door.  The theory is to chase the bears away. The two times the bears took my food (pre bear can days) I tried to reason with the bears but they chased me away.  Not sure how good my current practice is but I've never lost anything since I started using a bear can with my stove on it (never had a bear come into my camp either).

                Joe

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

                    > I've always put mine far enough away that the bear won't associate the
                    > canister with me and my tent, assuming that even if he or she tries to roll
                    > it away, it won't roll far. Am I doing it wrong?

                    I do that, too, AND I have reflective tape on it so I can find it after the bear ditches it. I always try to stow it far from the lake, too. Imagine having to swim out to get your bear canister in the morning. BRRRR!
                    Marnie
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
                      From the old pre-bearcan days, I'd say it is not all that hard to scare off a bear who has not yet gotten a food reward. If the bear did already get a food reward from your stuff, don't bother to try.

                      Back in the old days I found considerable profanity was useful. Of course, the bear didn't understand it but it made my voice more forceful, and that seemed to help.

                      But I've had no opportunity to try my bear-shooing skills in recent years other than the occasional bear found on a trail. Never one interested in my bearcan.

                      Personally I'm in the middle ground of other posters. I don't put my bearcan the full recommended 100 yards away but I do put it pretty far away (maybe 25 yards, it varies) and put stuff on top of it in hopes I will hear the bear. I usually don't eat meals where I camp so the cooking smells aren't an issue for me. (I usually hike at least 90 minutes after dinner because I love hiking in the fading light.

                      There's a good blog on scaring off bears about midway down this links page

                      Once you get to the linked blog, scroll down to the Jan 3, 2010

                      You can also go directly to a video (mentioned in the blog post) at

                      But the commentary that goes with the video on the blog is very good and the video mostly shows how people were too tentative to scare off the bear until the very end

                      Extract from  the blog, referencing the video:

                      "So, how do you scare a bear away? Yell as loudly as possible at it (we usually say “go away bear!” or “get out of here, bear!”) Obviously, it doesn’t really matter what you say, but if you’re yelling something like that at a bear, you’re more likely to mean it. And this is the trick. You have to mean it! You could make all the noise in the world, but if the bear doesn’t think you mean it, it’ll probably ignore you. You can see an example of yelling without meaning it not working very well in this video."

                      The bear biologists encourage you to scare off bears if you know how to do so safely. They want bears to stay people-adverse and if you are sweet to them, they will get more comfortable with people and their gear. Yelling at a bear to scare him away is good for the bear.

                      Kim Fishburn originally sent me the blog link. Thanks, Kim