Re: [John Muir Trail] Tuolumne Meadows camping

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
      If theft at Tuolumne is a problem, I wonder how safe it really is to even leave a pack outside the store or grill for a few minutes. If I recall correctly, the Post Office is a small window facing the outside so leaving a pack isn't needed just to retrieve the mail drop.

      Maybe there will be other backpackers around who can look after gear left by solo hikers for a few minutes while in the store/grill ...

      > Worse yet. Someone once stole all my olive oil at TM. I could hike without
      > poles.
      >
      > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >
      > > "... our treking poles had been stolen..."
      > > Wow. That should be equivalent to stealing a person's horse in the old
      > > west!

    • scriv.ener
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
        Get a rope.

        Oh, wait, we're backpackers, we have duct tape instead.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@...> wrote:

        > "... our treking poles had been stolen..."
        >
        > Wow. That should be equivalent to stealing a person's horse
        > in the old west!

      • Myo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
          REALLY? Good to know my friends..I will very careful about my gears.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "scriv.ener" <jeffreyz212@...> wrote:

          > Get a rope.
          >
          > Oh, wait, we're backpackers, we have duct tape instead.
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Ray Rippel <ray.rippel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > "... our treking poles had been stolen..."
          > >
          > > Wow. That should be equivalent to stealing a person's horse
          > > in the old west!

        • Gail
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2013
            I camped there on July 28 after starting my hike on July 25 at HI and before continuing on up Lyell Canyon on July 29. The ranger who issued my permit in the Valley explicitly said that as a through hiker I was allowed to camp at TM even though it wasn't technically the night before my hike started or the night after it ended. (That ranger's name is P.J. Solomon.) No one asked to see my permit while I was in the TM campground. I put my payment tag on my tent as the sign instructed me to do. You can camp there no matter how crowded it gets - people came in late and just camped anywhere within the boundaries of the camp. No one had a whole site to themselves.