Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [John Muir Trail] Alternate hikes

Expand Messages
  • Don Amundson
    just thinking of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same. ... No, I m not. So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      " just thinking of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same."

      ------------------------------

      No, I'm not.  So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan hike and another fire starts nearby, or you're walking along and suddenly see the smoke plume in the distance or a surprise storm hits and dumps a foot of snow on you? You can always have plan 3, 4 & 5 in place but how far do want to go with the plans. Conditions are what they are and can change in flash. You plan around what you know and adapt to changes.  I've had to abort a long range hike due to conditions on the ground that didn't quite match the plan and prior research.  I kind of like what Eisenhower's said about plans:

      plans
      are useless, but planning is indispensable


      Personally I keep an eye on things, start paying closer attention when I'm a week out from my start and adjust as conditions warrant. But that's me and you're you so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable. 












       
    • ravi_jmt2013
      I m just looking to have a single Plan B option in mind to fall back on but you are correct - there is no way to predict conditions in advance and Plan B may
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        I'm just looking to have a single Plan B option in mind to fall back on but you are correct - there is no way to predict conditions in advance and "Plan B" may also have problems.

        Anyway, I've been thinking about doing some PCT section hikes in the future so I'll probably research the Tuolumne to Tahoe segment just to keep it in the back of my mind.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:
        >
        > " just thinking
        > of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same."
        >
        > ------------------------------
        >
        > No, I'm not. So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan hike and another fire starts nearby, or you're walking along and suddenly see the smoke plume in the distance or a surprise storm hits and dumps a foot of snow on you? You can always have plan 3, 4 & 5 in place but how far do want to go with the plans. Conditions are what they are and can change in flash. You plan around what you know and adapt to changes. I've had to abort a long range hike due to conditions on the ground that didn't quite match the plan and prior research. I kind of like what Eisenhower's said about plans:
        >
        > plans are useless, but planning is indispensable
        >
        > Personally I keep an eye on things, start paying closer attention when I'm a week out from my start and adjust as conditions warrant. But that's me and you're you so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable.
        >
      • Don
        PCT section hike plans are always fun. I can go with your dual use of Plan B. A good concept when applied to gear also. I was recently looking at a PCT
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          PCT section hike plans are always fun. I can go with your dual use of "Plan B." A good concept when applied to gear also. I was recently looking at a PCT section hike down south and had to go to Plan C. The Mountain Fire wiped out a good portion of the trail.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:

          > Anyway, I've been thinking about doing some PCT section hikes in the future so I'll probably research the Tuolumne to Tahoe segment just to keep it in the back of my mind.
          >
        • krishna9012
          I am planning to start from HI/GP on Aug 7th as my resupplies are already sent to TM and MTR. Another friend is joining at OV / Kearsarge with last leg food
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I am planning to start from HI/GP on Aug 7th as my resupplies are already sent to TM and MTR. Another friend is joining at OV / Kearsarge with last leg food supply. I am dropping off the RM food supply on way to the YV.

            My alternate plan is:

            if the smoke is too heavy from RM, I will abort at RM, just get back to Mammoth lakes, take bus to Bishop and start the SB hike from there. Looks like all the smoke is between RM & VVR/MTR. So a leisurely hike over the Bishop's pass and then stay at Kearsarge/ Charlotte till my friend comes with food. Kearsarge lakes are really nice to just stay and swim in cold. Need to work out how many days of extra food I need for this venture as I cannot pick up my food bucket from MTR. If I run out of food at Kearsarge just get to OV, hitch a ride to Lone Pine and stay at the WP Hostel and wait for my friend. If I can get a ride, just go to Cottonwood Lakes CG at 10000 ft and camp there 2 or 3 nights and do day hikes to cottonwood pass and New Army Pass.

            Other alternative could be, if the smoke south of MTR is not an issue, then do a little north bound hike from Bishop pass to MTR, pick up the food and then continue south per original plan.

            I have my 3 weeks vacation and I am going to enjoy every bit of it :)

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:
            >
            > " just thinking
            > of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same."
            >
            > ------------------------------
            >
            > No, I'm not. So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan hike and another fire starts nearby, or you're walking along and suddenly see the smoke plume in the distance or a surprise storm hits and dumps a foot of snow on you? You can always have plan 3, 4 & 5 in place but how far do want to go with the plans. Conditions are what they are and can change in flash. You plan around what you know and adapt to changes. I've had to abort a long range hike due to conditions on the ground that didn't quite match the plan and prior research. I kind of like what Eisenhower's said about plans:
            >
            > plans are useless, but planning is indispensable
            >
            > Personally I keep an eye on things, start paying closer attention when I'm a week out from my start and adjust as conditions warrant. But that's me and you're you so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable.
            >
          • Don Amundson
            For what it s worth there is a 2 night camping limit at Kearsarge Lakes and Charlotte Lake. To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com From: krishna9012@gmail.com Date:
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
            • 0 Attachment

              For what it's worth there is a 2 night camping limit at Kearsarge Lakes and Charlotte Lake.


              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: krishna9012@...
              Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:33:05 +0000
              Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Alternate hikes

               
              I am planning to start from HI/GP on Aug 7th as my resupplies are already sent to TM and MTR. Another friend is joining at OV / Kearsarge with last leg food supply. I am dropping off the RM food supply on way to the YV.

              My alternate plan is:

              if the smoke is too heavy from RM, I will abort at RM, just get back to Mammoth lakes, take bus to Bishop and start the SB hike from there. Looks like all the smoke is between RM & VVR/MTR. So a leisurely hike over the Bishop's pass and then stay at Kearsarge/ Charlotte till my friend comes with food.


            • Bill Heiser
              hmmm, I read a couple days ago in another forum that some hikers aborted a hike in the Humphreys Basin area due to heavy smoke. So unless that s from a
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                hmmm, I read a couple days ago in another forum that some hikers aborted a hike in the Humphreys Basin area due to heavy smoke.  So unless that's from a different fire, apparently the Aspen fire smoke is also heading south-easterly too.

                Maybe wind conditions have changed since then?

                July 29, 2013 3:33 PM
                 



                My alternate plan is:

                if the smoke is too heavy from RM, I will abort at RM, just get back to Mammoth lakes, take bus to Bishop and start the SB hike from there. Looks like all the smoke is between RM & VVR/MTR.

              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.