Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Alternate hikes

Expand Messages
  • ravi_jmt2013
    This is probably premature based on my start date (four weeks from tomorrow!) but with the fire situation, I wonder whether it might be prudent to think about
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      This is probably premature based on my start date (four weeks from tomorrow!) but with the fire situation, I wonder whether it might be prudent to think about alternate hikes if things are still looking bleak in a few weeks. I'm determined to spend three weeks hiking in the Sierra Nevada after all of this anticipation but at the same time struggling through smoke sounds less than appealing. So, idea of having some contingency plans comes to mind.

      From a logistics standpoint, hiking the PCT from Tuolumne to I80 is about the same distance as Yosemite to Mt. Whitney, probably easier terrain, and it looks like there are a couple of logical resupply points where food can be purchased without planning to send a resupply in advance (Bridgeport and S. Lake Tahoe). This could be good for a 15-20 day hike. And for anyone who has plans already in place to travel to Yosemite, the starting point isn't much different than Yosemite Valley. And I think that permits going northbound from Tuolumne should be possible to obtain on a walk in basis with some flexibility.

      I've been reading about some people bailing on hikes and just thinking of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same. In my mind alternatives would have to be possible without shipping resupplies as the decision to go with the alternative might be made with little or no advance notice.
    • Ray Rippel
      Good day, Ravi, This fire and all the smoke has got my attention, too. I had some HAPE problems the last time I thru-hiked the JMT that were exacerbated by
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Good day, Ravi,

        This fire and all the smoke has got my attention, too. I had some HAPE problems the last time I thru-hiked the JMT that were exacerbated by smoke from a fire near Yosemite Valley.

        That said, right now I'm intending to be at Happy Isle on August 23rd, ready to head south.

        I'm interested in seeing what replies you get on this, though, and your alternative seems like a good one. It would be especially good for me; my wife and I just bought a lot (with construction of the house to begin soon) just a couple of miles from where the PCT and HW 80 intersect. It would be kind of neat to walk from Yosemite to the site of our future home!

        Good hiking, Ray
      • John Ladd
        ... I d guess that the fire will be out by this coming weekend. The stretch north from TM to I-80 is very nice but it s not as nice as the JMT John Curran Ladd
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

          This is probably premature based on my start date (four weeks from tomorrow!) but with the fire situation, I wonder whether it might be prudent to think about alternate hikes if things are still looking bleak in a few weeks.


          I'd guess that the fire will be out by this coming weekend. The stretch north from TM to I-80 is very nice but it's not as nice as the JMT

          John Curran Ladd
          1616 Castro Street
          San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
          415-648-9279
        • Deborah Rhoton
          I plan to continue on with my SOBO hike starting Aug 13th. I have non-refundable airfare for 3 and a resupply that has already been sent. I am hoping for the
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            I plan to continue on with my SOBO hike starting Aug 13th. I have non-refundable airfare for 3 and a resupply that has already been sent. I am hoping for the best!

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 29, 2013, at 2:08 PM, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:

             

            This is probably premature based on my start date (four weeks from tomorrow!) but with the fire situation, I wonder whether it might be prudent to think about alternate hikes if things are still looking bleak in a few weeks. I'm determined to spend three weeks hiking in the Sierra Nevada after all of this anticipation but at the same time struggling through smoke sounds less than appealing. So, idea of having some contingency plans comes to mind.

            From a logistics standpoint, hiking the PCT from Tuolumne to I80 is about the same distance as Yosemite to Mt. Whitney, probably easier terrain, and it looks like there are a couple of logical resupply points where food can be purchased without planning to send a resupply in advance (Bridgeport and S. Lake Tahoe). This could be good for a 15-20 day hike. And for anyone who has plans already in place to travel to Yosemite, the starting point isn't much different than Yosemite Valley. And I think that permits going northbound from Tuolumne should be possible to obtain on a walk in basis with some flexibility.

            I've been reading about some people bailing on hikes and just thinking of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same. In my mind alternatives would have to be possible without shipping resupplies as the decision to go with the alternative might be made with little or no advance notice.

          • Don Amundson
            just thinking of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same. ... No, I m not. So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              " just thinking of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same."

              ------------------------------

              No, I'm not.  So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan hike and another fire starts nearby, or you're walking along and suddenly see the smoke plume in the distance or a surprise storm hits and dumps a foot of snow on you? You can always have plan 3, 4 & 5 in place but how far do want to go with the plans. Conditions are what they are and can change in flash. You plan around what you know and adapt to changes.  I've had to abort a long range hike due to conditions on the ground that didn't quite match the plan and prior research.  I kind of like what Eisenhower's said about plans:

              plans
              are useless, but planning is indispensable


              Personally I keep an eye on things, start paying closer attention when I'm a week out from my start and adjust as conditions warrant. But that's me and you're you so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable. 












               
            • ravi_jmt2013
              I m just looking to have a single Plan B option in mind to fall back on but you are correct - there is no way to predict conditions in advance and Plan B may
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                I'm just looking to have a single Plan B option in mind to fall back on but you are correct - there is no way to predict conditions in advance and "Plan B" may also have problems.

                Anyway, I've been thinking about doing some PCT section hikes in the future so I'll probably research the Tuolumne to Tahoe segment just to keep it in the back of my mind.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:
                >
                > " just thinking
                > of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same."
                >
                > ------------------------------
                >
                > No, I'm not. So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan hike and another fire starts nearby, or you're walking along and suddenly see the smoke plume in the distance or a surprise storm hits and dumps a foot of snow on you? You can always have plan 3, 4 & 5 in place but how far do want to go with the plans. Conditions are what they are and can change in flash. You plan around what you know and adapt to changes. I've had to abort a long range hike due to conditions on the ground that didn't quite match the plan and prior research. I kind of like what Eisenhower's said about plans:
                >
                > plans are useless, but planning is indispensable
                >
                > Personally I keep an eye on things, start paying closer attention when I'm a week out from my start and adjust as conditions warrant. But that's me and you're you so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable.
                >
              • Don
                PCT section hike plans are always fun. I can go with your dual use of Plan B. A good concept when applied to gear also. I was recently looking at a PCT
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  PCT section hike plans are always fun. I can go with your dual use of "Plan B." A good concept when applied to gear also. I was recently looking at a PCT section hike down south and had to go to Plan C. The Mountain Fire wiped out a good portion of the trail.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@...> wrote:

                  > Anyway, I've been thinking about doing some PCT section hikes in the future so I'll probably research the Tuolumne to Tahoe segment just to keep it in the back of my mind.
                  >
                • krishna9012
                  I am planning to start from HI/GP on Aug 7th as my resupplies are already sent to TM and MTR. Another friend is joining at OV / Kearsarge with last leg food
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I am planning to start from HI/GP on Aug 7th as my resupplies are already sent to TM and MTR. Another friend is joining at OV / Kearsarge with last leg food supply. I am dropping off the RM food supply on way to the YV.

                    My alternate plan is:

                    if the smoke is too heavy from RM, I will abort at RM, just get back to Mammoth lakes, take bus to Bishop and start the SB hike from there. Looks like all the smoke is between RM & VVR/MTR. So a leisurely hike over the Bishop's pass and then stay at Kearsarge/ Charlotte till my friend comes with food. Kearsarge lakes are really nice to just stay and swim in cold. Need to work out how many days of extra food I need for this venture as I cannot pick up my food bucket from MTR. If I run out of food at Kearsarge just get to OV, hitch a ride to Lone Pine and stay at the WP Hostel and wait for my friend. If I can get a ride, just go to Cottonwood Lakes CG at 10000 ft and camp there 2 or 3 nights and do day hikes to cottonwood pass and New Army Pass.

                    Other alternative could be, if the smoke south of MTR is not an issue, then do a little north bound hike from Bishop pass to MTR, pick up the food and then continue south per original plan.

                    I have my 3 weeks vacation and I am going to enjoy every bit of it :)

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > " just thinking
                    > of alternatives and wondering if others are doing the same."
                    >
                    > ------------------------------
                    >
                    > No, I'm not. So what are you going to do when you start your alternative plan hike and another fire starts nearby, or you're walking along and suddenly see the smoke plume in the distance or a surprise storm hits and dumps a foot of snow on you? You can always have plan 3, 4 & 5 in place but how far do want to go with the plans. Conditions are what they are and can change in flash. You plan around what you know and adapt to changes. I've had to abort a long range hike due to conditions on the ground that didn't quite match the plan and prior research. I kind of like what Eisenhower's said about plans:
                    >
                    > plans are useless, but planning is indispensable
                    >
                    > Personally I keep an eye on things, start paying closer attention when I'm a week out from my start and adjust as conditions warrant. But that's me and you're you so you need to do what makes you feel comfortable.
                    >
                  • Don Amundson
                    For what it s worth there is a 2 night camping limit at Kearsarge Lakes and Charlotte Lake. To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com From: krishna9012@gmail.com Date:
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
                    • 0 Attachment

                      For what it's worth there is a 2 night camping limit at Kearsarge Lakes and Charlotte Lake.


                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                      From: krishna9012@...
                      Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:33:05 +0000
                      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Alternate hikes

                       
                      I am planning to start from HI/GP on Aug 7th as my resupplies are already sent to TM and MTR. Another friend is joining at OV / Kearsarge with last leg food supply. I am dropping off the RM food supply on way to the YV.

                      My alternate plan is:

                      if the smoke is too heavy from RM, I will abort at RM, just get back to Mammoth lakes, take bus to Bishop and start the SB hike from there. Looks like all the smoke is between RM & VVR/MTR. So a leisurely hike over the Bishop's pass and then stay at Kearsarge/ Charlotte till my friend comes with food.


                    • Bill Heiser
                      hmmm, I read a couple days ago in another forum that some hikers aborted a hike in the Humphreys Basin area due to heavy smoke. So unless that s from a
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29, 2013
                      • 0 Attachment
                        hmmm, I read a couple days ago in another forum that some hikers aborted a hike in the Humphreys Basin area due to heavy smoke.  So unless that's from a different fire, apparently the Aspen fire smoke is also heading south-easterly too.

                        Maybe wind conditions have changed since then?

                        July 29, 2013 3:33 PM
                         



                        My alternate plan is:

                        if the smoke is too heavy from RM, I will abort at RM, just get back to Mammoth lakes, take bus to Bishop and start the SB hike from there. Looks like all the smoke is between RM & VVR/MTR.

                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.