Re: [John Muir Trail] diamox side effects

  • Theresa
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 29 7:59 AM
      Diamox is a week diuretic. 125 to 250 milligrams 2 to 3 times a day is a typical does however for high altitude one can adjust it to ones sensitivity and needs. I've only taken at one time to experience what it feels like. most of us that do high altitude meaning like over about 12,000 feet usually take it one or two times everyday ...couple days before the trip or when we get to that elevation where we feel symptoms.. but some people do take it a couple days before the trip during the trip and then as a descent they stop taking it....the side effects are drowsiness nausea increased peeing and the tingling. For some people you feel it... other people you do not. Hydration is the key either way. If your peeing clear every hour you usually hydrating enough. I'm a nurse practitioner. I work in emergency room. I have wilderness  medicine experience and I just got back from doing the winter in Antarctica where high altitude is actually experienced at lower levels and we were treating people at the South Pole which is just about 9500 feet , for high altitude illness. I will be doing the John Muir Trail SB on August 7th. Yippy

      Ciao
      Namaste,
      Theresa Gilliland

      505-797-2993 hm
      530-409-1659 ce
      182 Big Horn Ridge Dr NE
      Albuquerque NM 87122

      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 4, 2013
        For me, it is obvious its the Diamox as I never got that sensation from altitude before. Tingling in the extremities may be a side effect for some, but I am unaware of it being one of the major, trip-ending complaints of AMS. My symptoms of altitude were the usual headache and lack of appetite, occasionally severe nausea. My worst case ever was while on a 400 mg dose of ibuprofen, (pre-Diamox days for me), and I felt great until just above Trail Camp going up Whitney when I got a nausea, headache, and severe nosebleed. I quickly turned around, and felt better once I got down to Outpost Camp. This incident was what prompted me to start my research on Diamox, and speak with my doctor about it. Again, I am not a big prescription drug proponent, but some of the other 'home' remedies just seem like the 'placebo effect' to me.