Re: [John Muir Trail] food for thought re: Permithrin

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 29, 2013
      The frog study, full version, is available at his link

      http://ca.water.usgs.gov/projects/toxics/DOI_10.1002_etc.2308_frogs_pesticides.pdf

      Here's the views of the lead author (Kelly Smalling) on permethrin use on clothing:

      "We did not find any permethrin in our frogs. We did find fipronil in the water in one of the ponds we sampled at a snopark and assumed it was from a dog swimming in the pond.

      If people want to wear permethrin infused clothing then that is up to them. I think a great precaution is not to wash or wear the clothing in lake water just in case. "

      (From her email to me. Fipronil is a mosquito and flea repellent and is used in animal treatments, mostly for fleas, like Fiprogard and PetArmor)

      She works at California Water Science Center, US Geological Survey, Sacramento, California

      Full citation:

      Smalling, K et al, ACCUMULATION OF PESTICIDES IN PACIFIC CHORUS FROGS (PSEUDACRIS REGILLA) FROM CALIFORNIA’S SIERRA NEVADA MOUNTAINS, USA, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol. 32, No. 9, pp. 2026–2034, 2013

      On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      Some further support for the thought that permethrin on clothing is a negligible factor in frog exposures

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM, basecampbound <kjonmyway@...> wrote:

      I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, and everyone of course, is entitled to their own opinions, but after reading both pros and cons of Permithrin, I asked a friend who is a Marine Biologist, (and coincidentally, worked in the Gulf during the BP oil spill).

      She is intimately familiar with the frog issue, and the effect of chemicals (that is her area of expertise), and offered the following take on this issue:

      Her opinion, was that anyone who is overly concerned about pesticides and neuro toxins should stay out of Sequoia/Kings Canyon altogether. She pointed out that SEKI has the worst air quality of any National Park, mostly due to the agriculture in the area, and....you guessed it....the pesticides that are used in farming that are in the air. She said that an average (mostly summer days) of over 80 days a year are considered to be well above unhealthy levels. Her take was that any amount of pesticide on your skin and/or clothing, is nothing compared to what you are breathing into your lungs, just being in the area.

      I too, was concerned about using both Deet and Permithrin, but she assured me that there are far worse levels in the air all through SEKI, and that the real issue with stream contamination is the contamination through air, (and rain) due to the pesticides used all throughout the farming areas.

      As an interesting side note: she is a hiker as well, and has hiked in the area extensively, and says she doesn't usually worry about giardia, but filters her water due to the pesticide levels.

      Just thought someone might find this as interesting as I did.

    • sriprank
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 29, 2013
        The problem I have is that each year more and more people are bringing
        Permithrin. into the Wilderness. Twenty -five years ago few would have thought of it. With the Internet and Groups such as this it is becoming widespread.
        So the are 2000 members in the Group. Then there is the FB Group where the other day someone suggested buying the commercial version and using that. How many other Hiking Groups do you think there are on the Internet. Hundreds, thousands? And the subject of Permithrin comes up in the majority of them. And yes it works and then they tell there friends about it. So the numbers multiply multi-fold every year. My objections are not specifically related to the yellow Legged Frog. This is a complex problem with the current research pointing to a fungal disease called Chytridiomycosis which is responsible for a World wide kill of native amphibians. My feelings are that the use of Permithrin is unnecessary and selfish and that as more and more people use it that it will become a factor. You can 'suggest' that people keep it away from water but not all will.