Do bears like Starbucks?

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
      I will be taking a Jetboil Flash stove on the JMT next month, primarily to make a cup of coffee in the morning, and to boil water which I will pour into a ziplock bag for a freeze dried meal at night. The question, please is "Where do I store my Jetboil at night when I sleep?"

      Many Thanks,

      Darryl
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
        I put mine on top of my bearcan in hopes I will hear it if the bears disturb it.

        On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Darryl <dabrahms@...> wrote:

        I will be taking a Jetboil Flash stove on the JMT next month, primarily to make a cup of coffee in the morning, and to boil water which I will pour into a ziplock bag for a freeze dried meal at night. The question, please is "Where do I store my Jetboil at night when I sleep?"

        Many Thanks,

        Darryl

      • Don Amundson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
          Darryl-We've missed you!  I leave my stove where I'm going to use it the next morning. I usually put water in the pot so it will be ready and a rock on top of it in case the wind comes up.  Sometimes that's in arms reach if I'm cowboy camping so I can roll over, fire it up and have my morning coffee while lying in bed.  Like you I don't cook in my pot.  If I did and wasn't careful about cleaning out my pot I might be hesitant about this practice though I have yet to hear of a bear attack on a stove pot.  If there has been one someone in this group will undoubtedly be providing research documentation shortly.
          Look around and you'll find best practice recommendations from never cooking where you camp to placing your kitchen a 100' from your tent site.

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: dabrahms@...
          Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:32:58 +0000
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Do bears like Starbucks?

          I will be taking a Jetboil Flash stove on the JMT next month, primarily to make a cup of coffee in the morning, and to boil water which I will pour into a ziplock bag for a freeze dried meal at night. The question, please is "Where do I store my Jetboil at night when I sleep?"

          Many Thanks,

          Darryl

        • scriv.ener
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
            Every year I re-discover, to my chagrin and in the worst possible way, that stove burner ports which get wet in an overnight rain do not light in the morning. Being a caffeine junky, this is a serious setback when early morning coffee is de rigeur. After I get smart, I store my pot upside down over the stove. No organic rainwater collection for me, alas.

            Now, I know the burner of a JetBoil is already tucked up into the heat exchanger. Still, were Mr. Wind or Ms. Bruin to knock it over, not only is the ceramic insulator in the piezo likely to break, but on its side the stove is vulnerable to rain. Do not let this happen to you. Fortunately, you can survive if you remember there's enough caffeine in a 76% cacao bar to stave off withdrawal.

            Strange but true,

            ~Jeffrey

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
              Sorry - should have been clearer. Only my JetBoil pot (without the insulating sleeve, the top, or the burner) go on top of the bearcan. U agree that stuff is better left where it is dry

              On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
              I put mine on top of my bearcan in hopes I will hear it if the bears disturb it.

              On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Darryl <dabrahms@...> wrote:

              I will be taking a Jetboil Flash stove on the JMT next month, primarily to make a cup of coffee in the morning, and to boil water which I will pour into a ziplock bag for a freeze dried meal at night. The question, please is "Where do I store my Jetboil at night when I sleep?"

            • Jason Fitzpatrick
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
                Clearly these bears do:

                http://petapixel.com/2013/07/27/outdoor-nature-cam-captures-a-veritable-bear-hoedown/

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013

                  Pretty funny.  You have to wonder why that tree. I guess all it takes is one to get things started.

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                  From: xparrot9@...
                  Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:47:36 -0700