Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Don't avoid caffeine on the trial

  • Bill Heiser
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28 12:35 PM
      In general I avoid caffeine on the trail.  At least on my thru-hike last summer I had trouble sleeping most nights, and I was concerned that caffeine would just aggravate the situation.

      I did drink Starbucks Via with breakfast on a few days though.  It's probably not a coincidence that those days were my highest mileage days, as much as double what I typically did.

      I assume everyone responds differently, but for me the coffee in the morning gave me more endurance to crank out the miles - helpful in sections where I had a distant destination in mind or where I had a high pass to cross.

      July 28, 2013 12:26 PM

      In addition to instant coffee, I like chocolate covered coffee beans. They provide a good boost late in the day and can substitute for coffee if you don't want to boil water.

      > This article very effectively debunks the idea that you should avoid
      > caffeine at high elevations. In fact, it may well be helpful.
      >
      > Personally, I hate caffeine withdrawal headaches, but don't want to boil
      > water for coffee/tea. So I bring caffeine tablets (like NoDoz) and take two
      > every morning. Also, it gets me going.
      >
      > Hacket, Peter J (Institute for Altitude Medicine, Telluride, CO.) Caffeine
      > at High Altitude: Java at Base Camp, HIGH ALTITUDE MEDICINE & BIOLOGY
      > Volume 11, Number 1, 2010
      >
      > http://www.altitudemedicine.org/publications/Caffeine%20at%20High%20Altitude.pdf
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279

      July 28, 2013 8:42 AM

      This article very effectively debunks the idea that you should avoid caffeine at high elevations. In fact, it may well be helpful.

      Personally, I hate caffeine withdrawal headaches, but don't want to boil water for coffee/tea. So I bring caffeine tablets (like NoDoz) and take two every morning. Also, it gets me going.

      Hacket, Peter J (Institute for Altitude Medicine, Telluride, CO.)  Caffeine at High Altitude: Java at Base Camp, HIGH ALTITUDE MEDICINE & BIOLOGY Volume 11, Number 1, 2010

      http://www.altitudemedicine.org/publications/Caffeine%20at%20High%20Altitude.pdf

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
      415-648-9279
  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28 12:57 PM
      For fellow caffeine addicts who are looking for good instant coffee, I recently discovered Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It is the only type of instant coffee that I actually like after trying many different brands. An added benefit is that this is super concentrated coffee so a very small amount of it goes a long way, takes little space, and weighs next to nothing per serving. It is not cheap at around $4 for only two ounces but might be worth a try for anyone who has yet to find appealing instant coffee and doesn't want to deal with brewed coffee on the trail.
    • krishna9012
      Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28 2:47 PM
        Thanks! Is this available on line or any popular stores? I am in Chicago area!

        Message 4 of 14 , Jul 28 3:21 PM
          Medaglia d'Oro is available at my local Safeway. It is also available at Amazon although in bulk quantities. There is a similar looking instant espresso brand available at Whole Foods but I do not recall the name and haven't tried it.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

          > Thanks! Is this available on line or any popular stores? I am in Chicago area!
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > For fellow caffeine addicts who are looking for good instant coffee, I recently discovered Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It is the only type of instant coffee that I actually like after trying many different brands. An added benefit is that this is super concentrated coffee so a very small amount of it goes a long way, takes little space, and weighs next to nothing per serving. It is not cheap at around $4 for only two ounces but might be worth a try for anyone who has yet to find appealing instant coffee and doesn't want to deal with brewed coffee on the trail.

        • Jason Fitzpatrick
          Message 5 of 14 , Jul 28 3:53 PM
            In my experience you shouldn't avoid caffeine in civilization either. I'll have to give the Mdaglia a try.

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: ravi@...
            Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:21:40 +0000
            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Don't avoid caffeine on the trial

            Message 6 of 14 , Jul 28 4:43 PM
              Ravi: Thanks! Your safeway is our dominicks. There is also wholefoods near by. Would check both.

              > Medaglia d'Oro is available at my local Safeway. It is also available at Amazon although in bulk quantities. There is a similar looking instant espresso brand available at Whole Foods but I do not recall the name and haven't tried it.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks! Is this available on line or any popular stores? I am in Chicago area!
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > For fellow caffeine addicts who are looking for good instant coffee, I recently discovered Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It is the only type of instant coffee that I actually like after trying many different brands. An added benefit is that this is super concentrated coffee so a very small amount of it goes a long way, takes little space, and weighs next to nothing per serving. It is not cheap at around $4 for only two ounces but might be worth a try for anyone who has yet to find appealing instant coffee and doesn't want to deal with brewed coffee on the trail.

            • Sierracanon
              Message 7 of 14 , Jul 28 4:54 PM
                My backpacking partner hauls coffee beans, a hand grinder, and aero press on all backcountry trips. We have fresh ground every morning. Life is good.

                > In my experience you shouldn't avoid caffeine in civilization either. I'll have to give the Mdaglia a try.
                >
                > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                > From: ravi@...
                > Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:21:40 +0000
                > Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Don't avoid caffeine on the trial

                > Medaglia d'Oro is available at my local Safeway. It is also available at Amazon although in bulk quantities. There is a similar looking instant espresso brand available at Whole Foods but I do not recall the name and haven't tried it.
                >

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@> wrote:
                >

                > > Thanks! Is this available on line or any popular stores? I am in Chicago area!
                >

                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@> wrote:
                >

                > > > For fellow caffeine addicts who are looking for good instant coffee, I recently discovered Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It is the only type of instant coffee that I actually like after trying many different brands. An added benefit is that this is super concentrated coffee so a very small amount of it goes a long way, takes little space, and weighs next to nothing per serving. It is not cheap at around $4 for only two ounces but might be worth a try for anyone who has yet to find appealing instant coffee and doesn't want to deal with brewed coffee on the trail.

              • longritchie
                Message 8 of 14 , Jul 28 5:05 PM
                  Medaglia d'Oro is an instant coffee. It's made of coffee and almost no moisture. So it's just as concentrated as any other dry instant coffee.

                  Caffeine content is another matter and I haven't seen specific numbers for different instant coffees. But in general instant coffee contains less caffeine than fresh brewed coffee.

                  As for what tastes better that's subjective. I used to drink Medaglia when backpacking believing it tasted better than Starbucks VIA. Of course I dump sugar and cream into my instant coffee to mask their raw flavors. Then one day I tried VIA and Medaglia side by side, both black, and I came to a different conclusion.

                  > For fellow caffeine addicts who are looking for good instant coffee, I recently discovered Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It is the only type of instant coffee that I actually like after trying many different brands. An added benefit is that this is super concentrated coffee so a very small amount of it goes a long way, takes little space, and weighs next to nothing per serving. It is not cheap at around $4 for only two ounces but might be worth a try for anyone who has yet to find appealing instant coffee and doesn't want to deal with brewed coffee on the trail.

                • mjboucher2
                  Message 9 of 14 , Jul 28 7:39 PM
                    Does your hiking partner charge $2.00 for a medium size like Peet's? :)

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sierracanon" <dlink_95670@...> wrote:

                    > My backpacking partner hauls coffee beans, a hand grinder, and aero press on all backcountry trips. We have fresh ground every morning. Life is good.

                  • Joe MacLeish
                    Message 10 of 14 , Jul 28 8:11 PM

                      does he hike slow and want to do a piece of the SHR next year?

                      Does your hiking partner charge $2.00 for a medium size like Peet's? :)

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sierracanon" <dlink_95670@...> wrote:

                      > My backpacking partner hauls coffee beans, a hand grinder, and aero press on all backcountry trips. We have fresh ground every morning. Life is good.

                    • clairehiker
                      Message 11 of 14 , Aug 8, 2013
                        That confirms my instinct to enjoy my afternoon coffee break on the trail.
                        Claire