Re: Red's Meadow Store inventory?

  • dosten
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
      The hiker boxes and Red's and MTR were pretty low on food when I was there (7/18 and 7/21). I think people are counting on getting extra food this way so the supply is down. I would not count on this strategy.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > Usually by this time of year there is a ton of free stuff in the hiker box. I would check out the free box and then augment from the store.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ravi_jmt2013" <ravi@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I keep debating whether to send a resupply to Red's or attempt to resupply out of the store. At $35 plus around $15 for shipping, that's $50 to send a relatively small amount of food to get me from Red's to MTR.
      > >
      > > What I'm thinking of doing is sending to Tuolumne things that I definitely cannot get from Red's and then supplement with items purchased from Red's. If I can get away with only carrying only a couple of extra pounds out of Tuolumne, then I think that's a price worth paying to avoid mailing a Red's resupply, but I wouldn't want to carry from Tuolumne the full 7 pounds of food I'll need for the Red's-MTR segment.
      > >
      > > If anyone can shed light on what the Red's store has had in inventory recently that would help. Specifically, I'm interested in whether they have bread or tortillas, instant oatmeal, nuts/trail mix, energy bars (like Clif Bars), some basic dinner items (Mac & Cheese, knorr sides, Idahoan, etc... ). I assume they have plenty of junk food like candy and chips.
      > >
      > > Thanks.

    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, darren@... wrote:

        > The hiker boxes and Red's and MTR were pretty low on food when I was there (7/18 and 7/21). I think people are counting on getting extra food this way so the supply is down. I would not count on this strategy.

        I agree. I was more interested in what the store actually has for sale than trying to get free food from the hiker boxes. From what I have read online, I don't really have enough confidence to rely on the store so it looks like I will be sending in a resupply just to be safe. The $35 cost just seems kind of high to me but in the context of the overall trip isn't that big of a deal.
      • Don Amundson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
          The Red's Meadow store does have a variety of food so you should be able to resupply from there unless you're really picky. You're not that far from VVR then MTR so you could make do with what they have. I'm doing it this year as part of a "training exercise" for another hike with limited resupply options.  These shots are probably from the best stocked days in the store.

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          From: ravi@...
          Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:02:44 +0000
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Red's Meadow Store inventory?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
            Let's try that again with the photos.

            Let's try that again.  Use this link for photo's of Red's including the store and the new bath house.

            https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150777662149490&set=a.10150777661734490.430930.87154849489&type=1&theater

            From: amrowinc@...
            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Red's Meadow Store inventory?
            Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 13:29:37 -0700

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: ravi@...
            Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:02:44 +0000

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2013
              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

              > The Red's Meadow store does have a variety of food so you should be able to resupply from there unless you're really picky. You're not that far from VVR then MTR so you could make do with what they have. I'm doing it this year as part of a "training exercise" for another hike with limited resupply options. These shots are probably from the best stocked days in the store.

              Thanks, that does give me a better idea of what they have.