water and dry stretches

  • darrendrk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013
      My girlfriend and I are starting out on the trail Aug 1st. I was wondering if anyone has an update of potential dry stretches on the trail. What is the longest potential stretch without reliable water? I'm trying to decide how much water I need to be able to carry. I'm planning on 2 32 oz Gatorade bottles and possibly a camelbak bladder or platypus collapsible bottle. If I camel up at each water source is 2 lt enough to get me through the drier stretches?
    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013
        Good morning,

        Also, checking with hikers coming the opposite direction gives more current data.

        Good hiking, Ray

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2013
          I'd probably usually take at least 2 liters per person for an extended dry stretch. A bit more if it was particularly hot out or if the dry stretch was significantly over 8 miles. And lots more if I'd be camping before the next water. One cup per mile per person isn't a bad rule of thumb if you don't take it too seriously.

          But I am not as weight-adverse as some.