Re: Water Crossings between Kearsarge Pass and Bishop Pass

  • jerry2636
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 25, 2013
      I just did Bishop pass to Mount Whitney.

      All crossings were done without touching water.

      No snow.

      Jerry

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, J&J Bierle wrote:

      > We are set to hike the section of the JMT between Kearsarge Pass and
      Bishop Pass. I understand from Elizabeth Wenk's book "John Muir Trail"
      that we should expect some water crossings north of Dollar Lake and
      again north of Mather Pass past the "Golden Staircase" near the junction
      with the Middle Fork of the Kings Trail. When the book was written, the
      bridge was washed out. Since this has been such a low snow year, I'm
      hoping these water crossings are minimal.

      > Can anyone who has recently hiked this section in the past few weeks
      please comment on...

      > 1. if we need water crossing shoes
      > 2. how deep and treacherous the crossings might be
      >
      > Any other information that would be helpful for this section of the
      hike.

      > Thanks for your comments!
      >
      > Julie

    • krishna9012
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
        Check the following discussion! It could be due to those thieving marmots, ever present from Guitar lake to all the way up on the summit

        http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95987&page=1#Post95987