Ham Radio Repeater frequency list along JMT?

  • krishna9012
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013
      I am still debating whether to bring my HT radio for the JMT hike. Last time I did remember seeing some repeater like tower while passing thru to Bubb's Ck bend, north of Forester pass, but could be wrong. Does any one have a collection of repeater frequencies that can be used while on JMT? Appreciate any info.
    • Tim Goodrich
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013

        This may be of use- it’s a website with an interactive map…

        http://k5ehx.net/

        Even if you can’t hit a repeater, at elevation and in the clear, the simplex calling frequency is a good bet. I do many Summits on the Air (SOTA) activations and routinely get contacts from 70-100 miles out on 2m FM simplex. If you have an APRS capable HT, you can even have someone track your progress or send an emergency APRS message. I’ve had my APRS beacon picked up at a range of 120 miles before.

        Good luck,

        Tim

        K6TW

      • krishna9012
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013
          Tim:
          Thanks for the info. Mine is Yaesu VX-6R withf 5w power. I will check the website and see this extra 1 lb is worth bringing. Besides, I am carrying the find-me-spot so that my family can track me.
          73
          Krishna
          KR1SH

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Goodrich" <tim@...> wrote:

          > This may be of use- it's a website with an interactive map.
          >
          > http://k5ehx.net/
          >

          > Even if you can't hit a repeater, at elevation and in the clear, the simplex
          > calling frequency is a good bet. I do many Summits on the Air (SOTA)
          > activations and routinely get contacts from 70-100 miles out on 2m FM
          > simplex. If you have an APRS capable HT, you can even have someone track
          > your progress or send an emergency APRS message. I've had my APRS beacon
          > picked up at a range of 120 miles before.
          >

          > Good luck,
          >
          > Tim
          >
          > K6TW

        • w3rkn
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1 11:15 AM
            This is the list I found: http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php?maxdist=50&clat=37.85&clong=-119.566667

            Take my Yaesu VX-8GR with me on most hikes. I like the GPS/APRS so my family can see where I am on http://aprs.fi

            I have a friend who is a fellow ham who can convey APRS messages to me from family if needed. Along with checking in with them. If there is a repeater with IRLP nearby (http://status.irlp.net/index.php?PSTART=7) I have used it to check-in with people further away.

            Cheers,
            Jascha (W3RKN)