Theft on the JMT

  • billjbill29
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
      I spent the other weekend hiking Mt. Whitney in preparation for the JMT. When we got down to Trail Crest, we found that someone had gone through our bear canister, but not taken anything. A group nearby was not so lucky. One of the hikers had left her pack while she summitted Whitney. It was gone when she got back down. I realize that the Mt Whitney Trail is a popular trail and therefore is hiked by many different types of people. So my question is this: what parts of the JMT should I be cautious about leaving my pack for any period of time? I was hoping to take a shower at Red's Meadow, but after this experience, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable leaving my pack for 10 or 15 minutes.
    • billjbill29
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
        I mean Trail Camp, not Trail Crest

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
          So has anyone heard of theft at Whitney Summit Junction?  I have never heard of it happening there.

          Sent from my iPhone
          See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
          http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

          On Jul 24, 2013, at 1:53 PM, billjbill29 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I mean Trail Camp, not Trail Crest

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, billjbill29 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I spent the other weekend hiking Mt. Whitney in preparation for the JMT. When we got down to Trail Crest, we found that someone had gone through our bear canister, but not taken anything. A group nearby was not so lucky. One of the hikers had left her pack while she summitted Whitney. It was gone when she got back down. I realize that the Mt Whitney Trail is a popular trail and therefore is hiked by many different types of people. So my question is this: what parts of the JMT should I be cautious about leaving my pack for any period of time? I was hoping to take a shower at Red's Meadow, but after this experience, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable leaving my pack for 10 or 15 minutes.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
            Last year some kid got both his canister and stove taken from a bear locker in the reds meadow BC---I just attributed it to all the many car campers across the way, some seemingly up there to do nothing more than drink and drive around the park in big trucks, but the reality might have been more like some PCTers, who also managed to run up and run out on paying their bills at the VVR.

            Pretty trusting of the VVR to just let you run a tab without asking to hold your credit card, but then we'd like to think if backpackers as honest folk.

            You can probably just take your pack I to the shower at reds, but then there's also the idea of just asking someone to watch it for you.

            There's no doubt more risk from marmots and bears getting your gear and really not that many places along the trail where one might come across crowds and thieves.

            I've done a good amount of day hikes on the JMT leaving my camp for hours at a time and never been bothered.

            ......if you're worried about leaving anything there at the junction, just hike up a few switch-backs and ditch your pack behind some rocks---there are lots of them---and little chance of your even being seen, hiding it away as well as anyone taking the time to blindly go up into the rocks with the intent to see if they can find someone's pack.

            Also, just remember to take your valuables to the top with you.

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
              That's pretty much what I had in mind. I agree with your feelings that Whitney Junction is relatively safe. It's up high enough to add some level of deterrence. I definitely won't be leaving my pack at Trail Camp on any future trips. And I probably won't want to leave my pack in the open before Half Dome either.

              > Last year some kid got both his canister and stove taken from a bear locker in the reds meadow BC---I just attributed it to all the many car campers across the way, some seemingly up there to do nothing more than drink and drive around the park in big trucks, but the reality might have been more like some PCTers, who also managed to run up and run out on paying their bills at the VVR.
              >
              > Pretty trusting of the VVR to just let you run a tab without asking to hold your credit card, but then we'd like to think if backpackers as honest folk.
              >
              > You can probably just take your pack I to the shower at reds, but then there's also the idea of just asking someone to watch it for you.
              >
              > There's no doubt more risk from marmots and bears getting your gear and really not that many places along the trail where one might come across crowds and thieves.
              >
              > I've done a good amount of day hikes on the JMT leaving my camp for hours at a time and never been bothered.
              >
              > ......if you're worried about leaving anything there at the junction, just hike up a few switch-backs and ditch your pack behind some rocks---there are lots of them---and little chance of your even being seen, hiding it away as well as anyone taking the time to blindly go up into the rocks with the intent to see if they can find someone's pack.
              >
              > Also, just remember to take your valuables to the top with you.
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Jul 24, 2013, at 1:53 PM, "billjbill29" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > > I mean Trail Camp, not Trail Crest
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, billjbill29 <no_reply@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I spent the other weekend hiking Mt. Whitney in preparation for the JMT. When we got down to Trail Crest, we found that someone had gone through our bear canister, but not taken anything. A group nearby was not so lucky. One of the hikers had left her pack while she summitted Whitney. It was gone when she got back down. I realize that the Mt Whitney Trail is a popular trail and therefore is hiked by many different types of people. So my question is this: what parts of the JMT should I be cautious about leaving my pack for any period of time? I was hoping to take a shower at Red's Meadow, but after this experience, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable leaving my pack for 10 or 15 minutes.

            • J&J Bierle
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                We are set to hike the section of the JMT between Kearsarge Pass and Bishop Pass. I understand from Elizabeth Wenk's book "John Muir Trail" that we should expect some water crossings north of Dollar Lake and again north of Mather Pass past the "Golden Staircase" near the junction with the Middle Fork of the Kings Trail. When the book was written, the bridge was washed out. Since this has been such a low snow year, I'm hoping these water crossings are minimal.

                Can anyone who has recently hiked this section in the past few weeks please comment on...

                1. if we need water crossing shoes
                2. how deep and treacherous the crossings might be

                Any other information that would be helpful for this section of the hike.

                Thanks for your comments!

                Julie
              • robert shattuck
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                  Julie,

                  You probably won't need any water crossing shoes--just bring your boulder hopping shoes---and I can't speak for anything on the east side of kearsage or up in Dusy basin and bishop pass, but once you get down on the JMT, unless you fall in the water, like really make an attempt to throw yourself in there, you'll barely get wet.

                  Once you come over kearsage, if you head straight for glen pass, you won't hit a water crossing until you get to Rae Lakes, where you can test your balance on a few logs. Then ... All the way down to the woods creek bridge, you'll have about three spots to cross and only one of them will be more than maybe a splash (another rickity branch crossing)

                  But take a break anyway, go barefoot even, as these are short shallow crossings of just a yard or more.

                  There's a nice camp spot at the woods creek bridge with an always chilly and ample stream to soak your feet in--but it's not o. The trail, so....

                  Then going up from (and up and up and up....) WCB to Pinchot pass, nothing more than a few easy, shallow and hopefully, thriving, small crossings.

                  I've never envied anyone having to go UP this section, so stock up and drink up all you can.

                  Up and over Pinchot and you won't hit any water until you are well down near the bench lake junction area--but nothing that will get your socks wet.

                  There are two crossings once you get down to the SFork kings river and again, the first one is just a good jump and the next one you can amble over to the left a ways and there's a log, or the water might be low enough right there for you to practice your balance on a few of the boulders -- otherwise, this is another great place to drop the pack, soak the feet, relax.

                  From here up to Mather, a few streams but nothing to worry about.

                  Over Mather and down to palisade lakes, nothing more than a few good hops (I did fall in once, early season, cold, fast) won't handle. Shouldn't be anything this season.

                  Golden staircase, down to deer meadow and into LeConte. Again, you might get the soles wet .... And that three or so miles up LeConte to gone Dusy junction .... One or two small bridges, some splashing and .... But bring a pair of Teva's ( I get a dollar every time I mention Teva's )  and did I remind you to bring a pair of Teva's ?

                  Bob Shattuck

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jul 24, 2013, at 3:25 PM, "J&J Bierle" <jrbierle@...> wrote:

                  We are set to hike the section of the JMT between Kearsarge Pass and Bishop Pass. I understand from Elizabeth Wenk's book "John Muir Trail" that we should expect some water crossings north of Dollar Lake and again north of Mather Pass past the "Golden Staircase" near the junction with the Middle Fork of the Kings Trail. When the book was written, the bridge was washed out. Since this has been such a low snow year, I'm hoping these water crossings are minimal.

                  Can anyone who has recently hiked this section in the past few weeks please comment on...

                  1. if we need water crossing shoes
                  2. how deep and treacherous the crossings might be

                  Any other information that would be helpful for this section of the hike.

                  Thanks for your comments!

                  Julie

                • Hank Ward
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                    I just finished my hike last Sunday. The only place I got my feet wet was Evolution Creek. All other water crossings were easy rock hops. Have fun!
                  • Julie Bierle
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                      Thanks Hank and Robert for the great info.

                      Julie

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Jul 24, 2013, at 4:26 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

[...]

                      From here up to Mather, a few streams but nothing to worry about.

[...]

                    • Lawrence Landauer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                        I knew someone who hung their food away from camp at the beginning of a trip but another person finishing their accidentally grabbed my friend's hung food. We know the story because they happened to meet up at the TH (my friend had to cut their trip short for lack of food).

                        There are good reasons to leave the bear canister in camp.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 24, 2013
                          Last year the old hot springs showers at Reds where closed due to damage from wind storms. The word was they were not going to be rebuilt.

                          The resort had a shower room for which they gave you a key so you can keep your gear close and secure.

                          When leaving gear remember that humans aren't the only thieves. Your food and salt soaked gear is attractive to many animals.

                          Snap

                          On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM, billjbill29 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          I spent the other weekend hiking Mt. Whitney in preparation for the JMT. When we got down to Trail Crest, we found that someone had gone through our bear canister, but not taken anything. A group nearby was not so lucky. One of the hikers had left her pack while she summitted Whitney. It was gone when she got back down. I realize that the Mt Whitney Trail is a popular trail and therefore is hiked by many different types of people. So my question is this: what parts of the JMT should I be cautious about leaving my pack for any period of time? I was hoping to take a shower at Red's Meadow, but after this experience, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable leaving my pack for 10 or 15 minutes.

                        • jerry2636
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 25, 2013
                            I just did Bishop pass to Mount Whitney.

                            All crossings were done without touching water.

                            No snow.

                            Jerry

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, J&J Bierle wrote:

                            > We are set to hike the section of the JMT between Kearsarge Pass and
                            Bishop Pass. I understand from Elizabeth Wenk's book "John Muir Trail"
                            that we should expect some water crossings north of Dollar Lake and
                            again north of Mather Pass past the "Golden Staircase" near the junction
                            with the Middle Fork of the Kings Trail. When the book was written, the
                            bridge was washed out. Since this has been such a low snow year, I'm
                            hoping these water crossings are minimal.

                            > Can anyone who has recently hiked this section in the past few weeks
                            please comment on...

                            > 1. if we need water crossing shoes
                            > 2. how deep and treacherous the crossings might be
                            >
                            > Any other information that would be helpful for this section of the
                            hike.

                            > Thanks for your comments!
                            >
                            > Julie

                          • krishna9012
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 26, 2013
                              Check the following discussion! It could be due to those thieving marmots, ever present from Guitar lake to all the way up on the summit

                              http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=95987&page=1#Post95987