Food Planning

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 24, 2013
      This weekend I will be finalizing and assembling my food for the hike and thought I would ask for some feedback on the plan. A typical day will include the following:

      * Breakfast will always be identical - instant oatmeal with Nido, pecans and cranberries plus coffee. I've calculated that the meal should be around 750 calories. It may sound monotonous but I actually eat oatmeal every day (although not instant and without as many calories) and I'm fine with it.

      * Mid morning and mid afternoon snack will be a Clif bar. I plan to take an assortment and I have tested out my willingness to eat the bars on trips and I still like them. 240 calories per bar.

      * Lunch ... I plan on mixing up either a half package of Near East Taboule or Fantastic Food dried hummus after breakfast each morning and put it in my pack's side pocket along with a couple of tortillas. The hummus and/or taboule is really a "delivery device" for olive oil that I plan to use liberally. I figure that I can get at least 500-600 calories from this meal and not feel too full to continue hiking.

      * Trail mix to eat during the day. Mix of various nuts and cranberries - approximately 500 calories.

      * Dinner ... At this point I have about five dinners in the rotation that I've tested out either on the trail or at home and can be cooked in my Jetboil. These meals are between 800-1100 calories.

      * Dessert ... Either five snickers fun size or 3 ounces of M&Ms - roughly 400 calories.

      In total this should be around 3,500 calories per day which I find keeps me going pretty well when hiking similar distances to what I'm planning for the JMT. The average calories/ounce is around 120 which isn't that great but I've cut enough weight from my base pack weight to allow for carrying more food and it looks like I should be able to get the volume of food into the canister for the MTR-Whitney leg of the trip.

      One potential issue that I'm a bit concerned about is that the protein will typically fall somewhat short of the recommended range (from the other thread on protein). One idea that I had was to replace one of the two Clif Bars with Clif Builder protein bars but I dislike the builder bars consistency and probably would end up not eating them.

      Any feedback would be appreciated.
    • dj_ayers
      Message 33 of 33 , Jun 30, 2014
        You could put your oil in a rumrunner flask.  Those are very easy to pack in the bear can and avoid the hassle of all those little packets.  They weight ~0.4 oz as I recall.