Fwd: [John Muir Trail] Re: Possible fire near Lake Edison

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2013
      I agree that the fire does not threaten a JMT hike at present, though the CalFire site is reporting second-hand information that it has spread to 2-3000 acres and is presently 0% contained.  This link is apparently being updated frequently about the fire status

      "Local News media reporting 2-3000 acres, 0% contained."

      But CalFire seems to think the news media has it too big: "300 acres, 0% contained"

      Updated fire perimeter map from the same site. Lake Edison is SE of the circles (indicating the fire) and gives a sense of scale. The grid shown a 1-km grid and seems to indicate the fire is about 8 km west of the trail. The higher-res image found at

      Lo-res image

      Inline image 1
      Higher res image

      Inline image 1

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      Just saw this update on the CalFire site

      "Local News media reporting 2-3000 acres, 0% contained."

      Still don't think it should be a problem for you, beyond possible smoke. It's unlikly to travel 20 miles without containment.

      On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Roleigh Martin <marti124@...> wrote:
      Thanks for taking late night call and your own research too!

      Sent from my iPhone
      See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
      http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8