Re: Pack Question

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
      I just bought a REI Mars pack for my JMT hike - I tried several larger ones, including non-REI, and just found this one to be really comfy on how the weight was on my hips and back. I did have a very helpful and patient salesperson who spent the time to do the adjustments and load up the packs with their weights and my bear canister.

      However, I do find some faults with it, and sent an email to REI suggesting that they not put the "electronic and breakables" intended pocket in the middle of the back (lean back against a tree or rock, smash go the sunglasses)and that it could use more compartments to segregate things by category for easy access - today's lunch, first aid/water treatment, or however you like to compartmentalize your stuff.

      Also the lid isn't specifically set up to be a fanny pack for day hikes, but it isn't that far from being possible to use. Just don't understand why the designers got so close to having a usable fanny pack (or in REIese, "lumbar pack") but didn't finish the job.

    • jaymiche@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
        The Mars pack is heavy - almost 6#. I'd avoid it for that reason alone. A few friends have the REI Flash 65 and like it. They got it on clearance for about $115. Unless you are carrying the kitchen sink I would expect you can easily find a pack below 4#. I like the Go-Lite Quest although the current model is heavier than mine.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <groundhogsteve@...> wrote:

        > I just bought a REI Mars pack for my JMT hike - I tried several larger ones, including non-REI, and just found this one to be really comfy on how the weight was on my hips and back. I did have a very helpful and patient salesperson who spent the time to do the adjustments and load up the packs with their weights and my bear canister.
        >
        > However, I do find some faults with it, and sent an email to REI suggesting that they not put the "electronic and breakables" intended pocket in the middle of the back (lean back against a tree or rock, smash go the sunglasses)and that it could use more compartments to segregate things by category for easy access - today's lunch, first aid/water treatment, or however you like to compartmentalize your stuff.
        >
        > Also the lid isn't specifically set up to be a fanny pack for day hikes, but it isn't that far from being possible to use. Just don't understand why the designers got so close to having a usable fanny pack (or in REIese, "lumbar pack") but didn't finish the job.
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, shawn peterson <pdawg893@> wrote:
        > >
        > > This is only one user's opinion...but let me offer it.  It is TERRIBLE.  I loaded it with my 15.5 lb base weight  and my bearikade weekender with 7 days of food (1.5 lbs per day) and it hung like a gunny sack on my lower back.  All shape and form was lost and it hung like a school back pack putting all the pressure on the lower spine.  It won't take most cans horizontally so you must place them vertically.  The seams on the hipbelt are sewn directly to the nylon coating.  Which means hip belt failure is imminent if you pull or tug too much.  I pulled the hip belt tight and saw the seams already starting to pop under pressure.
        > >
        > > So basically this pack can't even hold 26 pounds.  Some will tell you otherwise...I returned it.  Two different REI reps (one of them is a guide in the Sierra's) made mention he thought the Flash was a miserable pack.
        > >
        > > I'm not trying to sway you from REI products.  I like them and buy them....but this pack might be your Achilles heel on your trek.
        > >
        > > I've had fairly good luck with the ULA Catalyst I have...you might fair better with a circuit if that doesn't work for you.  I'm currently trying the granite gear blaze in an upcoming weekend trip.  I'm looking for a bit better feeling across my back with a pack...the Catalyst's aluminum stays aren't quite right yet...I've bent them several times.....so still searching for the best pack at them moment.
        > >
        > > Good Luck.
        > > Shawn
        > >

        > > ________________________________

      • christelc93
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 24, 2013
          That for asking that question Scott.

          I have an REI flash 50 that I love. Have used it for several multi day trips and it held up well. Fits all my stuff, sits and holds well.

          My concerns are that it is just not big enough with bear canister in it ( JMT would be first time using one) and that the weight of ten days of resupply would be too much.. I already tried to fit everything in and it just didn't fit. Yours is a bit bigger and I am not ultralight ( getting closer though) but ultimately I am making the choice to take my modified trusty ole' Kelty coyote.
          If I wanted to spend more money I would go with the ULA packs.
          Good luck and happy trails
          Christel

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jaymiche@..." <jaymiche@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > So basically this pack can't even hold 26 pounds.  Some will tell you otherwise...I returned it.  Two different REI reps (one of them is a guide in the Sierra's) made mention he thought the Flash was a miserable pack.
          > > >
          > > > I'm not trying to sway you from REI products.  I like them and buy them....but this pack might be your Achilles heel on your trek.
          > > >
          > > > I've had fairly good luck with the ULA Catalyst I have...you might fair better with a circuit if that doesn't work for you.  I'm currently trying the granite gear blaze in an upcoming weekend trip.  I'm looking for a bit better feeling across my back with a pack...the Catalyst's aluminum stays aren't quite right yet...I've bent them several times.....so still searching for the best pack at them moment.

        • Inga Aksamit
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2013
            Christel et al,
            We did the High Sierra Trail as a shakedown for the JMT last year and I was pleased that we did manage to fit everything for 9 days in our REI Flash packs, and I have the women's small size which is the smallest size you can get. We took it as our challenge to commit to lightening our load so we figured if we couldn't fit it all in we were carrying too much stuff. I often bring little luxury food items etc but not this time--if it wasn't a critical food item it didn't go in. We were certainly at capacity the first day but as the days progressed the load decreased, of course. I'm not quite UL yet--I still carry an extra set of clothes and rinse out every day or two, and I carry a Kindle, camera and cell phone--just examples of places where I could still cut down, but managed to fit it all in my REI Flashpack.

            Inga Aksamit
            Mobile: 415-470-1812
            Email: Iaksamit@...
            Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
            About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
          • rb
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 2013
              Unlike Shawn, I found that the Flash 62 worked just fine for our recently (Wed) completed JMT trip. I think it's likely personal preference. My only complaint is that I did serious damage to the bottom of the pack (on a previous Grand Canyon trip) but apparently I'm really hard on gear -- although I didn't have that problem with my first Flash.

              A Bear Vault will NOT fit sideways but I wedged our tent in next to the upright BV which worked well.