Re: solar chargers

  • Stephen Kundell
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 23, 2013
      Suntactics works well for me, very durable, charges cell phone, external
      battery pack and my phone from the USB port. Bad part is it weighs 8 oz.
      I drilled a few holes by the edges, attached adjustable clips by one
      side and an elastic band on the other, and it sits great on top of my
      ULA circuit.
    • Inga Aksamit
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
        I've been testing 2 solar chargers. First I tried the "XTG Solar Powered Backup Battery and Charger" ($25 on Amazon) but it was inadequate--as stated it only charges to 50% in the sun, which would have been fine if it actually charged my Droid, but it didn't over multiple tries. Now I'm testing the Bushnell SolarWrap Mini Portable Charging System ($79), developed for the US Army, and it's working great. It a thin, flexible sheet that rolls up to a compact cylinder (1 1/4 in diameter) when not in use. It has USB and micro-USB and charged my phone with no problem. It didn't charge it to 100% but that's ok. It weighs 3.1 oz. It would attach easily to a backpack.

        Inga Aksamit
        Mobile: 415-470-1812
        Email: Iaksamit@...
        Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
        About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
          What brand model number is your phone?  Am on 1/2 day break on my JMT hike now.

          Sent from my iPhone
          See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
          http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 24, 2013
            My smart phone that I've been using with the Bushnell solar charger is a Mororola Droid Razr (not the MAXX) from Verizon, about a year old. Android version 4.1.2; 16 GB RAM.

            Inga Aksamit
            Mobile: 415-470-1812
            Email: Iaksamit@...
            Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
            About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures
          • eric schultz
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 12, 2014
              Hi someone posted that they used a bushnell on the JMT.  I was wondering which one and how long did it take to charge via the sun
              Thanks
              Eric
            • debrabrownbear
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 12, 2014
                Last year I used a Bushnell Bear Gryllis Solar Wrap Mini charger. I hung it from my pack all day, then charged my phone in camp at day's end. Took 1-2 hours to charge the phone at night. It never charged it to 100%. The best I got was 70-80%, but worked fine for me. Debra
              • Stirling Price
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 13, 2014
                  Thanks Debra, that's what I will be using this year.  Good to know that it should handle my minimal charging needs.

                  Stirling

                  On Apr 12, 2014, at 10:15 PM, <debrabrownbear@...> wrote:

                  Last year I used a Bushnell Bear Gryllis Solar Wrap Mini charger. I hung it from my pack all day, then charged my phone in camp at day's end. Took 1-2 hours to charge the phone at night. It never charged it to 100%. The best I got was 70-80%, but worked fine for me. Debra

                • Julie Mitchell

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 13, 2014
                      There is some cell reception in spots along the trail. There's a database in the files area that indicates the various carriers and places where people have had reception. I used my smartphone in airplane mode mostly, to take photos and check the Guthook's app occasionally. Though I did successfully post a photo to Facebook from Donohue pass. Debra