Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: on at Virginia Lakes TH August 27, advice re schedule/sites to Tuolumne Meadow

  • Theresa Gilliland
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 21, 2013
      Hi Walt,
      Sounds like a good plan. What is the elevation at your trail head?   it looks like about 4000ft or not having a contour map in front of me:):):)....I did bring Diamox with me to all the climbs that I knew I was going above 14,000ft. Never needed it on Whitney. Which I have rocked climbed the East Buttress 3 times and hiked once. I buy into the school of thought, If I need great, but still plan to descend and hang for a day or two should the AMS start, and I know that I am condition to do the climb.....I know some take it prophetically, which if they are not in condition to do the climb, they may go beyond that point and not have a back up if the AMS starts....When my brother, my husband and I climbed Cotopaxi ( 19,347ft) in Ecuador, Gary (my brother) experienced symptoms at 15,000ft. HA, with nausea, insomina and no appetite.  I encouraged him to take the diamox. I took some also just to see how I would respond and wanting to know before I need it how it would make me feel. Being a "mild diuretic" for me was an understatement. Every 12 minutes for one hour, I had to answer the call of nature :):):)...I never did get the tingling in the fingers. Gary felt great for the summit climb which we started about 6 hours later....I did Imja Tse in Nepal, 20,305 ft and did not need any diamox. Experienced a pre "bonkng" moment at 19,600ft.....that was way weird....
      ciao,

      n 7/20/2013 12:59 PM, whcobbs wrote:

      Theresa,
      I was indeed looking for some altitude advice. Last time in the region, I backpacked up from the Yosemite Valley floor to Tuolumne and experienced nothing worse than a headache that night. That was in 1971, just before a medical internship. We both know the difficulties of compromised individuals attempting to manage solo a condition which may compromise judgment.
      I will take some Diamox tabs along, but would rather not need them. A night at near 10K feet before the trail, a daytime climb to 11K, then a descent to overnight at 9500 ft or below seems a doable plan.
      Thanks,
      Walt (Neurology)