Re: on at Virginia Lakes TH August 27, advice re schedule/sites to Tuolumne Meadow

  • whcobbs
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 20, 2013
      To all who responded,
      This a lot of good stuff! Water availability, campsites, altitude management. I thing the crucial point for me is to sleep at altitude the night before hitting the trail. Thanks for all the help,
      Walt

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <pklein95014@...> wrote:

      > I saw Bob's response. I believe he's confusing Virgina Lakes where
      > you want to enter, with Virginia Lake down near Mammoth.
      >
      > Northeast Yosemite is really different and quite beautiful. I've gone
      > in thru both Va Lakes and Twin Lakes. How long do you intend to take to get to T Mdws? Your mileage/day will depend on time available, of course.
      >
      > Pete
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "whcobbs" <walter.cobbs@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I'm in condition for backpacking AT and such, 30 lb pack, living at 300 ft elevation near Philadelphia. I'm permitted for Hoover Wilderness/Virginia Lakes trailhead, via PCT to JMT near Tuolumne Meadows and south to Whitney.
      > > Seeking advice re Virginia Lakes to Tuolumne segment, pace and campsites.
      > >
      > > Walt

    • Theresa Gilliland
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2013
        HI Walt,
        As noted before, my husband and I will be doing the JMT 8/7-8/23ish....being experienced mountaineers,  we know it is imperative for one to be acclimated. Getting AMS, HACE or HAPE will be a show stopper for you. Recovering from exertion requires more time the higher one climbs and over exertions happens before you would normally expect it to happen and will set one up for AMS.......coming from 300ft and going up to 10,000 is enough elevation gain for one to begin the symptoms of AMS, and others to get HACE or HAPE if not acclimatized. The rule of thumb is to climb high ( 1000- 3000 ft if you want) and sleep low. That means try not to sleep more than 2000 ft ,  above your last night sleep, give or take a few 1000 ft. depending upon what elevation you last slept.  For me, I generally don't feel anything before 10,000 ft. but I have lived at 4000ft or above for the last 10 years...Currently I live at 6200ft. I have seen people who traveled from San Francisco up to Tahoe, driving over an almost 8000 ft summit and get AMS.   Coming from 300 ft with a 30 lb pack will require most people to acclimate at least a night for every 2000--3000 ft gain above 5000ft or so.......of course this is not black and white....you must know your limits and listen to your body. Familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of AMS and pay attention......if you experience any AMS symptoms, you can descend until all symptoms have resolved and then ascend again slowly and stay hydrated........FYI, I am an NP who works in the ED, has taken many wilderness medicine courses and has been a member on many search and rescue teams.
        Hope this helps. Have fun!!!!
        Ciao,

        On 7/20/2013 6:36 AM, whcobbs wrote:

        To all who responded,
        This a lot of good stuff! Water availability, campsites, altitude management. I thing the crucial point for me is to sleep at altitude the night before hitting the trail. Thanks for all the help,
        Walt

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <pklein95014@...> wrote:

        > I saw Bob's response. I believe he's confusing Virgina Lakes where
        > you want to enter, with Virginia Lake down near Mammoth.
        >
        > Northeast Yosemite is really different and quite beautiful. I've gone
        > in thru both Va Lakes and Twin Lakes. How long do you intend to take to get to T Mdws? Your mileage/day will depend on time available, of course.
        >
        > Pete
        >

        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "whcobbs" <walter.cobbs@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I'm in condition for backpacking AT and such, 30 lb pack, living at 300 ft elevation near Philadelphia. I'm permitted for Hoover Wilderness/Virginia Lakes trailhead, via PCT to JMT near Tuolumne Meadows and south to Whitney.
        > > Seeking advice re Virginia Lakes to Tuolumne segment, pace and campsites.
        > >
        > > Walt

      • whcobbs
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2013
          Theresa,
          I was indeed looking for some altitude advice. Last time in the region, I backpacked up from the Yosemite Valley floor to Tuolumne and experienced nothing worse than a headache that night. That was in 1971, just before a medical internship. We both know the difficulties of compromised individuals attempting to manage solo a condition which may compromise judgment.
          I will take some Diamox tabs along, but would rather not need them. A night at near 10K feet before the trail, a daytime climb to 11K, then a descent to overnight at 9500 ft or below seems a doable plan.
          Thanks,
          Walt (Neurology)

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Theresa Gilliland <Theresa@...> wrote:

          > HI Walt,
          > As noted before, my husband and I will be doing the JMT
          > 8/7-8/23ish....being experienced mountaineers, we know it is imperative
          > for one to be acclimated. Getting AMS, HACE or HAPE will be a show
          > stopper for you. Recovering from exertion requires more time the higher
          > one climbs and over exertions happens before you would normally expect
          > it to happen and will set one up for AMS.......coming from 300ft and
          > going up to 10,000 is enough elevation gain for one to begin the
          > symptoms of AMS, and others to get HACE or HAPE if not acclimatized. The
          > rule of thumb is to climb high ( 1000- 3000 ft if you want) and sleep
          > low. That means try not to sleep more than 2000 ft , above your last
          > night sleep, give or take a few 1000 ft. depending upon what elevation
          > you last slept. For me, I generally don't feel anything before 10,000
          > ft. but I have lived at 4000ft or above for the last 10
          > years...Currently I live at 6200ft. I have seen people who traveled from
          > San Francisco up to Tahoe, driving over an almost 8000 ft summit and get
          > AMS. Coming from 300 ft with a 30 lb pack will require most people to
          > acclimate at least a night for every 2000--3000 ft gain above 5000ft or
          > so.......of course this is not black and white....you must know your
          > limits and listen to your body. Familiarize yourself with the signs and
          > symptoms of AMS and pay attention......if you experience any AMS
          > symptoms, you can descend until all symptoms have resolved and then
          > ascend again slowly and stay hydrated........FYI, I am an NP who works
          > in the ED, has taken many wilderness medicine courses and has been a
          > member on many search and rescue teams.
          > Hope this helps. Have fun!!!!
          > Ciao,
          >
          > On 7/20/2013 6:36 AM, whcobbs wrote:
          > >

          > > To all who responded,
          > > This a lot of good stuff! Water availability, campsites, altitude
          > > management. I thing the crucial point for me is to sleep at altitude
          > > the night before hitting the trail. Thanks for all the help,
          > > Walt
          > >
          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          > > <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>, "Pete" <pklein95014@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I saw Bob's response. I believe he's confusing Virgina Lakes where
          > > > you want to enter, with Virginia Lake down near Mammoth.
          > > >
          > > > Northeast Yosemite is really different and quite beautiful. I've gone
          > > > in thru both Va Lakes and Twin Lakes. How long do you intend to take
          > > to get to T Mdws? Your mileage/day will depend on time available, of
          > > course.
          > > >
          > > > Pete
          > > >

          > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          > > at 300 ft elevation near Philadelphia. I'm permitted for Hoover
          > > Wilderness/Virginia Lakes trailhead, via PCT to JMT near Tuolumne
          > > Meadows and south to Whitney.
          > > campsites.

        • Theresa Gilliland
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 21, 2013
            Hi Walt,
            Sounds like a good plan. What is the elevation at your trail head?   it looks like about 4000ft or not having a contour map in front of me:):):)....I did bring Diamox with me to all the climbs that I knew I was going above 14,000ft. Never needed it on Whitney. Which I have rocked climbed the East Buttress 3 times and hiked once. I buy into the school of thought, If I need great, but still plan to descend and hang for a day or two should the AMS start, and I know that I am condition to do the climb.....I know some take it prophetically, which if they are not in condition to do the climb, they may go beyond that point and not have a back up if the AMS starts....When my brother, my husband and I climbed Cotopaxi ( 19,347ft) in Ecuador, Gary (my brother) experienced symptoms at 15,000ft. HA, with nausea, insomina and no appetite.  I encouraged him to take the diamox. I took some also just to see how I would respond and wanting to know before I need it how it would make me feel. Being a "mild diuretic" for me was an understatement. Every 12 minutes for one hour, I had to answer the call of nature :):):)...I never did get the tingling in the fingers. Gary felt great for the summit climb which we started about 6 hours later....I did Imja Tse in Nepal, 20,305 ft and did not need any diamox. Experienced a pre "bonkng" moment at 19,600ft.....that was way weird....
            ciao,