RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: Ride from Whitney to Mammoth Lakes on a Sunday....

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
      "So tell us, have you always hung out in the Dow Spa an extra day thinking there was no bus on Wed? :) "

      No, actually, I never knew or bothered to notice there was allegedly no bus on wednesday . . . but I was corrected by someone else here, recently,  stating this fact, and not doing any further research, I just went with it––but they were wrong.

      For the record . . . and let's hope I get this right (since I just spent a while, mostly on hold, with ESTA . . . Nice people!)

      1. There is an ESTA bus out of Lone Pine, five days a week, leaving at 6:15 in the a.m.––it will get you to Mammoth.

      2. m, t, th, friday is the 6:15 ESTA bus going all the way (with a transfer in Bishop) to Reno

      3. and then . . . the Lone Pine Express . . . which travels every day, but only goes to Mammoth.

      4. both of these buses stop in mammoth.

      5. There are other buses that leave AFTER the 6:15 . . . but they involve a lay-over in Bishop of an hour or so, and I for the damn life of me (I've never been  chart/graph person)  can't figure it out by looking at the ESTA schedule.

      6. I would highly suggest anyone with my lack of patience for things with too much information, just give the fine folks at the ESTA office a call and they're very nice about helping you out.

      7. So I guess my slightly incorrect info stems other incorrect info and mostly just that I've never had a problem, never missed a 6:15 out of Lone Pine and I 've always just needed to get to Mammoth, which again, both buses do, but if you want to get to Reno . . .

      8. Are we confused?

      9. . . . and as to hanging out in the "Dow Spa" an extra day––that's my plan this time––I always feel rushed, getting off the mountain, getting into LP. taking care of chores and then I spend the late night hours sitting in that tub, just still feeling rushed, like getting up early to catch that 6:15 to rush back to all this . . . so this time I am going to go a little slower, sleep in, wander the back streets of LP and just take a few more hours to say goodbye to it all––besides, I hear they put in a new tub and if it's better than the last, well, it'll be really good.

      BOB

    • Adam & Paula Salinger
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
        I need Sundays.

        :)

        Adam
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
          Did you try East Side Sierra Shuttle?

          http://www.eastsidesierrashuttle.com/

          Chris.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

          > Hi all...
          >
          > Ill be driving into the Portal on a Saturday night and just found there is not ESTA service on Sundays from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes.....
          >
          > I found a shuttle fellow that will take me from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes for 200 $
          > I'd have to hitch from the Portal to Lone Pine and then he would take me to Mammoth Lakes to catch YARTS....but....for 200$....
          >
          > Ill be arriving at the Portal in the middle of the night on 8/3 and want to get to Mammoth Lakes as early as possible on the 4th....there are 3 YARTs out of Mammoth Lakes to YNP...at 6 am, 8 am and 10:45 am.....
          >
          > Anyone have any other advice than to spend 200$....???
          >
          > Really thought that ESTA ran 7 days a week like YARTS in July and August....
          >
          > Help.......
          >
          > Adam

        • Don
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
            Have you thought of just driving directly to Mammoth and leaving your car there (long term parking it available near the Mammoth Lodge where the the YARTS bus stops? When you come out it's easy enough to get to Lone Pine and hitch up to Mammoth or stay the night and catch the bus up to Mammoth (unless your coming out on the weekend).

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

            > Hi all...
            >
            > Ill be driving into the Portal on a Saturday night and just found there is not ESTA service on Sundays from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes.....
            >
            > I found a shuttle fellow that will take me from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes for 200 $
            > I'd have to hitch from the Portal to Lone Pine and then he would take me to Mammoth Lakes to catch YARTS....but....for 200$....
            >
            > Ill be arriving at the Portal in the middle of the night on 8/3 and want to get to Mammoth Lakes as early as possible on the 4th....there are 3 YARTs out of Mammoth Lakes to YNP...at 6 am, 8 am and 10:45 am.....
            >
            > Anyone have any other advice than to spend 200$....???
            >
            > Really thought that ESTA ran 7 days a week like YARTS in July and August....
            >
            > Help.......
            >
            > Adam

          • Jerry Bridgeman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
              Bus stop in Lone Pine is now at the McDonalds.
              I caught the northbound bus there last week.
              I did the South half of JMT, Bishop to Mount Whitney.

              Jerry
            • Don Amundson
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                Thanks for that info Jerry.  A bit distressing since their web site still shows Statham Hall.  I'd hate to be standing there bleary eyed for a bus that never comes.

                Don

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                  No, they changed it to McDonalds on the ESTA site---I thought that was a typo..... But just think of all the early morning egg mcmuffins you can now buy.

                  Bob

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                    Well I'll be da....d.  It took a search of three different ESTA sites to find that.  Time for them to clean up their dangling web pages.
                    The thought of egg mcmuffins weighs heavy on my stomach at the moment but by the time I'm waiting for the bus I'll probably have renewed interest in those hot hockey pucks.

                    Thanks Bob.

                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    CC: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    From: bobolonius@...
                    Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:42:23 -0700

                    No, they changed it to McDonalds on the ESTA site---I thought that was a typo..... But just think of all the early morning egg mcmuffins you can now buy.

                    Bob

                  • farnorthsteve
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 20, 2013