Ride from Lone Pine to LA or Lancaster

  • jj442434
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18 4:09 PM
      Is anybody finishing up a hike at Whitney Portal on Friday, August 23rd? Or leaving Whitney Portal or Lone Pine headed south late on the 23rd or anytime on the 24th?

      My friend and I are finishing a thru hike, and need to get down to Los Angeles (Pasadena/Glendale area), or to Lancaster so we can take the MetroLink home. We're both 20 year old male students at Occidental College, very friendly and courteous, and willing to pay for gas as well as some extra money for your kindness.

      If you can help out, or know of someone who can, please email me so we can work out the details.
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 18 4:55 PM
        "leaving Whitney Portal or Lone Pine headed south late on the 23rd or anytime on the 24th?"

        August 23rd is a friday . . . check your calendar to be sure . . . it also appears that there's an ESTA bus leaving Lone Pine at 9:40 a.m., arriving in Lancaster at 12:45 p.m.

        Do your research by checking out the "395 route" schedule, here:

        otherwise, should you come down on Saturday . . . thumb or . . . Usually, the last two or three days, once you get over glen and you're headed for Forester, there are a lot of hikers headed out and headed south . . .just keep your ears open to the conversations around you––like when you're all huddled up there on Forester or Whitney––and someone mentions driving south, ask about a possible ride. Can't hurt––I've got a few rides this way––plus meeting someone before you jump in car with them to drive for 5-6 hours,  isn't a bad idea.

        BOB

      • jj442434
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18 11:46 PM
          Yeah we'd be leaving Guitar Lake on the 23rd though, so unless we hang glide down from the summit of Mt. Whitney, I don't think we could get to Lone Pine by 9:40 am. Unless anyone here knows of an ultra-light collapsible hang glider...

          In all seriousness, talking to other hikers sounds like a good idea, but I'll have a friend with me, which might hinder our chances of getting a ride. It's a good last resort, but I'd prefer to have something set up.

          And Bob- thanks for answering my questions, in this thread, and the one that came before this. You have been very helpful

          > "leaving Whitney Portal or Lone Pine headed south late on the 23rd or anytime on the 24th?"
          > August 23rd is a friday . . . check your calendar to be sure . . . it also appears that there's an ESTA bus leaving Lone Pine at 9:40 a.m., arriving in Lancaster at 12:45 p.m.
          > Do your research by checking out the "395 route" schedule, here:
          > http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes
          > otherwise, should you come down on Saturday . . . thumb or . . . Usually, the last two or three days, once you get over glen and you're headed for Forester, there are a lot of hikers headed out and headed south . . .just keep your ears open to the conversations around you––like when you're all huddled up there on Forester or Whitney––and someone mentions driving south, ask about a possible ride. Can't hurt––I've got a few rides this way––plus meeting someone before you jump in car with them to drive for 5-6 hours, isn't a bad idea.
          > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

        • fortunateblessings
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 19 8:36 AM
            (off topic: riffing on the UL hang glider joke)

            This is definitely worth a look.

            This guy might be able to help you out, if you need to get back over to the other side of the range.

            http://vimeo.com/69642110

            The first ever complete crossing east to west using a paraglider took place July 1 this year. I'd be interested to know whether anyone noticed him going overhead. He crossed the JMT just south of Forester Pass.

            Mark

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jj442434" <jj442434@...> wrote:

            > Yeah we'd be leaving Guitar Lake on the 23rd though, so unless we hang glide down from the summit of Mt. Whitney, I don't think we could get to Lone Pine by 9:40 am. Unless anyone here knows of an ultra-light collapsible hang glider...
            >
            > In all seriousness, talking to other hikers sounds like a good idea, but I'll have a friend with me, which might hinder our chances of getting a ride. It's a good last resort, but I'd prefer to have something set up.
            >
            > And Bob- thanks for answering my questions, in this thread, and the one that came before this. You have been very helpful
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@> wrote:
            > >
            > > "leaving Whitney Portal or Lone Pine headed south late on the 23rd or anytime on the 24th?"
            > > August 23rd is a friday . . . check your calendar to be sure . . . it also appears that there's an ESTA bus leaving Lone Pine at 9:40 a.m., arriving in Lancaster at 12:45 p.m.
            > > Do your research by checking out the "395 route" schedule, here:
            > > http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes
            > > otherwise, should you come down on Saturday . . . thumb or . . . Usually, the last two or three days, once you get over glen and you're headed for Forester, there are a lot of hikers headed out and headed south . . .just keep your ears open to the conversations around you––like when you're all huddled up there on Forester or Whitney––and someone mentions driving south, ask about a possible ride. Can't hurt––I've got a few rides this way––plus meeting someone before you jump in car with them to drive for 5-6 hours, isn't a bad idea.
            > > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 20 1:35 AM
              Holy wow... what a video! Thanks for sharing!

              At risk of ruining the magic...
              He launches from the top of the road to Cottonwood Lakes, heads north along the Sierra Crest over Mt Whitney and Mt Williamson, crosses W along the Kings-Kern Divide (west over Forester Pass as Mark points out), then SW along the Great Western Divide, then W along the north slope of the Kaweah River Canyon past Moro Rock, down to Central Valley below.

              Some details:
              1:10 Over Tulainyo Lake, looking W at Wallace Lake and Wales Lake.
              1:40 Over Mt Williamson, looking W at Mt Tyndall.
              1:45 Over Thunder Mountain, looking east. Kern River Canyon to south.
              1:55 Over Table Mountain, looking N into Bubb's Creek Canyon.
              2:20 Over Centennial Peak, looking S into upper Cloud Canyon drainage.
              2:35 Over Great Western Divide, looking W at Josephine Lake.
              2:45 Over Josephine Lake, looking SW along Glacier Ridge.
              3:05 Over Glacier Ridge, looking N Josephine Lake and King's Canyon below.
              3:40 Over Tablelands, looking W into Kaweah River canyon.
              3:50 Over E Tablelands, looking SW down Buck Creek (white stripe).
              4:00 Over the High Sierra Trail, along N slope of Kaweah River Canyon, looking W.
              4:30 Over Buckeye Flat, looking N at Moro Rock (people on top)
              5:30 Lake Kaweah (downstream of Three Rivers).

              Amazing.

              Chris.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 20 2:39 AM
                I found a KML of the flight. Directly over the top of Forester Pass, heading east to west, about 2000 feet above the pass. Right about noon on July 1:
                http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/772824

                Description of the flight:
                http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=368877

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@...> wrote:

                > Holy wow... what a video! Thanks for sharing!
                >
                > At risk of ruining the magic...
                > He launches from the top of the road to Cottonwood Lakes, heads north along the Sierra Crest over Mt Whitney and Mt Williamson, crosses W along the Kings-Kern Divide (west over Forester Pass as Mark points out), then SW along the Great Western Divide, then W along the north slope of the Kaweah River Canyon past Moro Rock, down to Central Valley below.
                >
                > Some details:
                > 1:10 Over Tulainyo Lake, looking W at Wallace Lake and Wales Lake.
                > 1:40 Over Mt Williamson, looking W at Mt Tyndall.
                > 1:45 Over Thunder Mountain, looking east. Kern River Canyon to south.
                > 1:55 Over Table Mountain, looking N into Bubb's Creek Canyon.
                > 2:20 Over Centennial Peak, looking S into upper Cloud Canyon drainage.
                > 2:35 Over Great Western Divide, looking W at Josephine Lake.
                > 2:45 Over Josephine Lake, looking SW along Glacier Ridge.
                > 3:05 Over Glacier Ridge, looking N Josephine Lake and King's Canyon below.
                > 3:40 Over Tablelands, looking W into Kaweah River canyon.
                > 3:50 Over E Tablelands, looking SW down Buck Creek (white stripe).
                > 4:00 Over the High Sierra Trail, along N slope of Kaweah River Canyon, looking W.
                > 4:30 Over Buckeye Flat, looking N at Moro Rock (people on top)
                > 5:30 Lake Kaweah (downstream of Three Rivers).
                >
                > Amazing.
                >
                > Chris.

              • brucelem12
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 20 5:25 AM
                  Awesome! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the extra descriptions/kml. I was trying to figure that out.
                  Very cool/Holy wow indeed!
                  Bruce

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@...> wrote:

                  > I found a KML of the flight. Directly over the top of Forester Pass, heading east to west, about 2000 feet above the pass. Right about noon on July 1:
                  > http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/flight/772824
                  >
                  > Description of the flight:
                  > http://www.paraglidingforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=368877
                  >

                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Holy wow... what a video! Thanks for sharing!
                  > >
                  > > At risk of ruining the magic...
                  > > He launches from the top of the road to Cottonwood Lakes, heads north along the Sierra Crest over Mt Whitney and Mt Williamson, crosses W along the Kings-Kern Divide (west over Forester Pass as Mark points out), then SW along the Great Western Divide, then W along the north slope of the Kaweah River Canyon past Moro Rock, down to Central Valley below.
                  > >
                  > > Some details:
                  > > 1:10 Over Tulainyo Lake, looking W at Wallace Lake and Wales Lake.
                  > > 1:40 Over Mt Williamson, looking W at Mt Tyndall.
                  > > 1:45 Over Thunder Mountain, looking east. Kern River Canyon to south.
                  > > 1:55 Over Table Mountain, looking N into Bubb's Creek Canyon.
                  > > 2:20 Over Centennial Peak, looking S into upper Cloud Canyon drainage.
                  > > 2:35 Over Great Western Divide, looking W at Josephine Lake.
                  > > 2:45 Over Josephine Lake, looking SW along Glacier Ridge.
                  > > 3:05 Over Glacier Ridge, looking N Josephine Lake and King's Canyon below.
                  > > 3:40 Over Tablelands, looking W into Kaweah River canyon.
                  > > 3:50 Over E Tablelands, looking SW down Buck Creek (white stripe).
                  > > 4:00 Over the High Sierra Trail, along N slope of Kaweah River Canyon, looking W.
                  > > 4:30 Over Buckeye Flat, looking N at Moro Rock (people on top)
                  > > 5:30 Lake Kaweah (downstream of Three Rivers).
                  > >
                  > > Amazing.
                  > >
                  > > Chris.

                • Marna
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20 9:39 AM
                    I saw a paraglider in August last year between Kearsarge and Center Basin. Impressive.
                    Marnie

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 21 8:22 AM
                      Here's a write up of the pilot's story about the flight.

                      http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2174699&tn=0&mr=0

                      Mark