Getting to Glacier Point TH

  • RJMZCR
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2013
      Starting from GP TH on August 7. I'll be staying in Mammoth the night before and was going to take YARTS from there which appears to just dump me in the valley. The only option (other than hiking) I've found for getting from the valley to GP is via a paid shuttle at $25 per person for a one-way ticket. Is that right? There are four in my group and I'm not keen on paying $100 just to get to the TH. Any advice for working out the logistics of getting to the TH would be appreciated.
    • Deborah Rhoton
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2013
        Yep. 4 hour shuttle ride that leaves only 3 times daily from the valley. Or, hike 4 mile trail, which is aptly named, 4 steady miles all uphill. Wish I had better options to give you.

        Deb

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 18, 2013, at 3:50 PM, "RJMZCR" <RJMZCR@...> wrote:

        Starting from GP TH on August 7. I'll be staying in Mammoth the night before and was going to take YARTS from there which appears to just dump me in the valley. The only option (other than hiking) I've found for getting from the valley to GP is via a paid shuttle at $25 per person for a one-way ticket. Is that right? There are four in my group and I'm not keen on paying $100 just to get to the TH. Any advice for working out the logistics of getting to the TH would be appreciated.

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2013
          FWIW, the wilderness permit office told me that it is fine for backpackers with a GP permit to start their hike at the four mile trailhead. Apparently there have been hikers who had issues with Lyell Canyon permits when they attempt to "day hike" from HI to Tuolumne with packs containing overnight gear. This should not be an issue for the four mile trail.

          Now whether I want to actually climb the four mile trail is another question! I'm considering it because I've never hiked the four mile trail before and I could get an earlier start from GP than if I wait for the first bus.

          Of course the best option would be if I'm lucky and can change the GP permit to HI ...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 18, 2013
            Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm leaning toward going over the night before to try to change our permit to HI. I know the Panorama Trail is supposed to be beautiful, but I wasn't so excited with the extra day starting from GP was going to add to the trip.