Reusing old Kevlar shoelaces

  • judithsmcguire
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013
      I just discovered that I can reuse my old Salomon Trail Runner kevlar shoelaces as the underfoot strap for my gaiters (using a bowline). Since the original straps wore out on the OR gaiters, I've been replacing them with various nylon lines that get worn out after maybe 100 miles. The best replacements have been scavenged nylon farm twine (found often along the Pennine Way last year). I'm hoping the kevlar will last longer. I can get two gaiters out of each shoelace so the extra goes into my first aid bag as a backup. I notice the new OR gaiters have a hard plastic strap but I'm too cheap to buy the new ones.

      Judy (Judo) McGuire
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2013

        "I notice the new OR gaiters have a hard plastic strap but I'm too cheap to buy the new ones."

        Judy,

        Great discovery, re-use . . . I am a fan of OR gaiters and have found them to be at least more durable than a similar pair of REI gaiters.

        I tend to wear out a pair of gaiters in one JMT . . . for some reason I wear the inside ankle area out and to curtail this I ended up putting on an iron-on patch, which gave the REI's a little more life.

        I did the same with the OR's but so far, barely bruised them, but yes, totally wore out the underfoot (instep strap) strap which is sewn onto my current pair of OR's.

        I have been checking out the new OR "Wrapid Gaiter"  and love the idea of the new "Bio-thane" instep strap. I thought it was an obvious given that the gaiters would either come with replacements or you could buy them, but my inquiry to the OR people was that they don't sell the straps individually––yet.

        I think I'll be trail-testing them anyway . . . and trying to think of a zip-tie solution.

        BOB

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013

          On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:
          for some reason I wear the inside ankle area out

          Me, too. I like the idea of a reinforcing patch.

        • whcobbs
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
            Judy,

            Thanks for the gaiter under-foot tie info. I use picture wire for snow/ice conditions with instep crampons, otherwise drapery cord which dies pretty quick. Will try kevlar, should work.

            Walt

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "judithsmcguire" <judithsmcguire@...> wrote:

            > I just discovered that I can reuse my old Salomon Trail Runner kevlar shoelaces as the underfoot strap for my gaiters (using a bowline). Since the original straps wore out on the OR gaiters, I've been replacing them with various nylon lines that get worn out after maybe 100 miles. The best replacements have been scavenged nylon farm twine (found often along the Pennine Way last year). I'm hoping the kevlar will last longer. I can get two gaiters out of each shoelace so the extra goes into my first aid bag as a backup. I notice the new OR gaiters have a hard plastic strap but I'm too cheap to buy the new ones.
            >
            > Judy (Judo) McGuire

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 5, 2013
              I think we wrote about this a while back---I was interested in the OR "wrapid" gaiter with its Bio-thane"  in-step straps, but they said they didn't sell them separately .... I contacted OR and finally got a response telling me they'd set me up with replacements---but at $45 or so for the gaiters, I'll wear out this other pair first.

              Bob

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Aug 5, 2013, at 3:51 AM, "whcobbs" <walter.cobbs@...> wrote:

              Judy,

              Thanks for the gaiter under-foot tie info. I use picture wire for snow/ice conditions with instep crampons, otherwise drapery cord which dies pretty quick. Will try kevlar, should work.

              Walt

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "judithsmcguire" <judithsmcguire@...> wrote:

              > I just discovered that I can reuse my old Salomon Trail Runner kevlar shoelaces as the underfoot strap for my gaiters (using a bowline). Since the original straps wore out on the OR gaiters, I've been replacing them with various nylon lines that get worn out after maybe 100 miles. The best replacements have been scavenged nylon farm twine (found often along the Pennine Way last year). I'm hoping the kevlar will last longer. I can get two gaiters out of each shoelace so the extra goes into my first aid bag as a backup. I notice the new OR gaiters have a hard plastic strap but I'm too cheap to buy the new ones.
              >
              > Judy (Judo) McGuire

            • sriprank
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2013
                Also you can recycle your used Trail Runners at any Nike Store.

                http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/better-world/stories/2013/05/reuse-a-shoe

                They actually use them. For those in Oakland CA area there are stores in Emeryville and San Leandro