How to send my stuff to another city?

  • fernando_amorim08
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
      Wassup!!

      I'm from Brazil and i'm gonna start the JMT at August 6
      Before start the trail i will spend 6 days in San Francisco and after finish the JMT i'll spend more 3 or 4 days in Los Angeles and then i will come back to Brazil.
      So i'm wondering what i can do to sent the things that i wont use in the trail to LA.

      The hostel in LA want charge me $3 per day to hold my stuff.

      I heard that the USPS have a service that i can sent a package to myself in other city and they hold it until i pick up. But i'm not sure if it's only for Americans.

      Can some one give me a light?

      Thx!

      Obs: Sorry for my bad english! ehehe
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013

        My guess is, figure out where both your hostel (in L.A.) and the nearest post office are . . . send your stuff to the post office, as:

        Your Name
        General Delivery
        at whatever the post office address is.

        likewise, if you wanted to have something waiting for you at the end of the JMT, you would send it to the Lone Pine Post office, "general delivery" . . . it should be sitting there, waiting for you––as long as you do not show up on a sunday. closed.

        What's the address of the hostel in L.A.???

        BOB

      • fernando_amorim08
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
          Wassup Robert.

          I'm gonna stay at USA Hostel
          1624 SCHRADER BLVD, HOLLYWOOD, CA 90028, USA

          Do you have any idea how much cost that service?

          Thx!

          Cya!

          > My guess is, figure out where both your hostel (in L.A.) and the nearest post office are . . . send your stuff to the post office, as:
          > Your NameGeneral Deliveryat whatever the post office address is.
          > likewise, if you wanted to have something waiting for you at the end of the JMT, you would send it to the Lone Pine Post office, "general delivery" . . . it should be sitting there, waiting for you––as long as you do not show up on a sunday. closed.
          > What's the address of the hostel in L.A.???
          > BOB

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
            Fernando . . . it will only cost you the amount of whatever the postage (mail cost) is . . . depends on if you are sending them rocks or feathers.

            bob

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: fernando.amorim08@...
            Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:20:35 +0000
            Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] How to send my stuff to another city?

            Wassup Robert.

            I'm gonna stay at USA Hostel
            1624 SCHRADER BLVD, HOLLYWOOD, CA 90028, USA

            Do you have any idea how much cost that service?

            Thx!

            Cya!

            > My guess is, figure out where both your hostel (in L.A.) and the nearest post office are . . . send your stuff to the post office, as:
            > Your NameGeneral Deliveryat whatever the post office address is.
            > likewise, if you wanted to have something waiting for you at the end of the JMT, you would send it to the Lone Pine Post office, "general delivery" . . . it should be sitting there, waiting for you––as long as you do not show up on a sunday. closed.
            > What's the address of the hostel in L.A.???
            > BOB

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013

              Well then, here's your lovely hollywood post office.  it's within a block or less of your hostel.

              Fernando Amorim
              c/o General Delivery/ U.S. post office
              1615 Wilcox Avenue
              Los Angeles, CA 90028

              just remember to send it to yourself there, care of General Delivery . . . and you might want to put an estimated time of arrival on the package.

              BOB

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: fernando.amorim08@...
              Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:20:35 +0000

              Wassup Robert.

              I'm gonna stay at USA Hostel
              1624 SCHRADER BLVD, HOLLYWOOD, CA 90028, USA

              Do you have any idea how much cost that service?

              Thx!

              Cya!

              > My guess is, figure out where both your hostel (in L.A.) and the nearest post office are . . . send your stuff to the post office, as:
              > Your NameGeneral Deliveryat whatever the post office address is.
              > likewise, if you wanted to have something waiting for you at the end of the JMT, you would send it to the Lone Pine Post office, "general delivery" . . . it should be sitting there, waiting for you––as long as you do not show up on a sunday. closed.
              > What's the address of the hostel in L.A.???
              > BOB

            • fernando_amorim08
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
                Thx for all the answers. Just love this forum!

                Oh! And when i asked about the price i meant the price per kg. hehe

                Cya !

                > Well then, here's your lovely hollywood post office. it's within a block or less of your hostel.
                > http://www.yelp.com/biz/us-post-office-los-angeles-2
                > Fernando Amorimc/o General Delivery/ U.S. post office1615 Wilcox AvenueLos Angeles, CA 90028
                >

                > just remember to send it to yourself there, care of General Delivery . . . and you might want to put an estimated time of arrival on the package.
                >
                > BOB
                >
                > To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                > From: fernando.amorim08@...
                > Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 21:20:35 +0000
                > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] How to send my stuff to another city?

                > Wassup Robert.
                >

                > I'm gonna stay at USA Hostel
                >
                > 1624 SCHRADER BLVD, HOLLYWOOD, CA 90028, USA
                >

                > Do you have any idea how much cost that service?
                >

                > Thx!
                >

                > Cya!
                >

                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@> wrote:
                >

                > > My guess is, figure out where both your hostel (in L.A.) and the nearest post office are . . . send your stuff to the post office, as:
                >
                > > Your NameGeneral Deliveryat whatever the post office address is.
                >
                > > likewise, if you wanted to have something waiting for you at the end of the JMT, you would send it to the Lone Pine Post office, "general delivery" . . . it should be sitting there, waiting for you––as long as you do not show up on a sunday. closed.
                >
                > > What's the address of the hostel in L.A.???
                >
                > > BOB
                >

                > > http://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

              • Jim White
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2013
                  The post office won't keep the package forever. Officially 30 days is the limit.

                  Why not send to the Lone Pine post office?

                  See this page for official info:

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2013
                    I don't want send to Lone Pine because i don't want to carry 2 backpack to LA. I will be pretty tired to do that.

                    Thx Jim!

                    Well, i'm not sure how i