Re: Ride from Whitney to Mammoth Lakes on a Sunday....

  • krishna9012
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 17, 2013
      Send email to krishna9012@... I will be driving from Pasadena to Mammoth on Aug 5, Monday and if you are still stuck I can give you a ride.
      Krishna

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

      > Hi all...
      >
      > Ill be driving into the Portal on a Saturday night and just found there is not ESTA service on Sundays from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes.....
      >
      > I found a shuttle fellow that will take me from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes for 200 $
      > I'd have to hitch from the Portal to Lone Pine and then he would take me to Mammoth Lakes to catch YARTS....but....for 200$....
      >
      > Ill be arriving at the Portal in the middle of the night on 8/3 and want to get to Mammoth Lakes as early as possible on the 4th....there are 3 YARTs out of Mammoth Lakes to YNP...at 6 am, 8 am and 10:45 am.....
      >
      > Anyone have any other advice than to spend 200$....???
      >
      > Really thought that ESTA ran 7 days a week like YARTS in July and August....
      >
      > Help.......
      >
      > Adam

    • John
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
        Adam,

        Unless your a little flexible in your dates/times, it looks as if I will miss you by mere hours as I will be driving north on 395 from So Cal enroute to Mammoth on the afternoon of 8/4. I'll be staying the night in Mammoth then grabbing the first YARTS to Tuolumne Meadows on Mon morning 8/5.

        Give me a shout if I can assist.

        John M.

        On Jul 17, 2013, at 5:11 PM, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

        Hi all...

        Ill be driving into the Portal on a Saturday night and just found there is not ESTA service on Sundays from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes.....

        I found a shuttle fellow that will take me from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes for 200 $
        I'd have to hitch from the Portal to Lone Pine and then he would take me to Mammoth Lakes to catch YARTS....but....for 200$....

        Ill be arriving at the Portal in the middle of the night on 8/3 and want to get to Mammoth Lakes as early as possible on the 4th....there are 3 YARTs out of Mammoth Lakes to YNP...at 6 am, 8 am and 10:45 am.....

        Anyone have any other advice than to spend 200$....???

        Really thought that ESTA ran 7 days a week like YARTS in July and August....

        Help.......

        Adam

      • jj442434
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
          I'm glad you just posted this, because my friends and I now have the same exact problem. We were going to drive from Los Angeles to Lone Pine very late on Sat. night/early on Sun. morning, ESTA to Mammoth, YARTS to Yosemite Valley. Permit is for the 5th

          Theres three of us, and you make 4, so $50 while expensive is not unreasonable. Let's keep in contact because I'd love to know if you've worked out another way to get to YV.
        • jj442434
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
            Being experienced in hitch-hiking on Hwy 395, how long do you think it would take 3 guys in their early 20's to get a hitch from Lone Pine to either Mammoth or Lee Vining?

            Keep in mind that we will be clean backpackers, not having just finished a thru-hike. I think if it were me, I'd actually be more likely to pick up dirty backpackers, counter intuitively. That way I know they have tents and sleeping bags inside their packs instead of machetes.
          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013

              "how long do you think it would take 3 guys in their early 20's to get a hitch from Lone Pine to either Mammoth or Lee Vining? "

              Three is tough. tried it a few times and we always had to draw straws and decide who would just go sit in the shade until the others got a ride.

              You are on 395 though and maybe you know about ESTA, maybe not . . . you can jump on the bus weekdays (except wed) going north to bishop, then mammoth at 6:15 in the a.m.

              Then as soon as you arrive in Mammoth you jump on the YARTS bus to Lee Vining and or all the way into the valley or . . . what's your ultimate goal?

              . . . yeah, dirty works fine.

              Bob

            • jj442434
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                Yosemite Valley is the end goal. Unfortunately, I have the same problem as OP. I need the bus on Sunday the 4th, when it doesn't run.

                I guess we could travel on the 5th, but I don't really like the idea of lugging all of our stuff 4000 feet up from Happy Isles, after getting a late start after a long night of driving. If we did that, YARTS would put us at the YV visitors center at 12:05 PM. We'd need to get our permit, and I don't realistically see us starting the trail until 1PM, optimistically.

                > "how long do you think it would take 3 guys in their early 20's to get a hitch from Lone Pine to either Mammoth or Lee Vining? "
                > Three is tough. tried it a few times and we always had to draw straws and decide who would just go sit in the shade until the others got a ride.
                > You are on 395 though and maybe you know about ESTA, maybe not . . . you can jump on the bus weekdays (except wed) going north to bishop, then mammoth at 6:15 in the a.m.
                > http://www.estransit.com/CMS/
                > Then as soon as you arrive in Mammoth you jump on the YARTS bus to Lee Vining and or all the way into the valley or . . . what's your ultimate goal?
                > . . . yeah, dirty works fine.
                > Bob

              • Don
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                  Before someone else misses the bus in this group--The CREST (ESTA) bus from Lone Pine to Mammoth runs Mon-Fri three times a day. The Lone Pine to Reno bus is the Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri run.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013

                    "Before someone else misses the bus in this group . . . "

                    Don,

                    Doh, that's why I always try to include the ESTA website . . . don't believe me to be 100 percent––look for yourself. . . I'm just to used to the way I've always done it . . . nothin' like the 6:15 . . .

                    BOB

                  • Don
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                      Bob-you haven't lost the 6:15 from Statham Hall. It's still the same bus, the same time, the same stop and possibly the same driver, though I'm usually too tired to pay much attention when I get on it. So tell us, have you always hung out in the Dow Spa an extra day thinking there was no bus on Wed? :)

                      > "Before someone else misses the bus in this group . . . "
                      > Don,
                      > Doh, that's why I always try to include the ESTA website . . . don't believe me to be 100 percent––look for yourself. . . I'm just to used to the way I've always done it . . . nothin' like the 6:15 . . .
                      >
                      > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

                    • robert shattuck
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                        "So tell us, have you always hung out in the Dow Spa an extra day thinking there was no bus on Wed? :) "

                        No, actually, I never knew or bothered to notice there was allegedly no bus on wednesday . . . but I was corrected by someone else here, recently,  stating this fact, and not doing any further research, I just went with it––but they were wrong.

                        For the record . . . and let's hope I get this right (since I just spent a while, mostly on hold, with ESTA . . . Nice people!)

                        1. There is an ESTA bus out of Lone Pine, five days a week, leaving at 6:15 in the a.m.––it will get you to Mammoth.

                        2. m, t, th, friday is the 6:15 ESTA bus going all the way (with a transfer in Bishop) to Reno

                        3. and then . . . the Lone Pine Express . . . which travels every day, but only goes to Mammoth.

                        4. both of these buses stop in mammoth.

                        5. There are other buses that leave AFTER the 6:15 . . . but they involve a lay-over in Bishop of an hour or so, and I for the damn life of me (I've never been  chart/graph person)  can't figure it out by looking at the ESTA schedule.

                        6. I would highly suggest anyone with my lack of patience for things with too much information, just give the fine folks at the ESTA office a call and they're very nice about helping you out.

                        7. So I guess my slightly incorrect info stems other incorrect info and mostly just that I've never had a problem, never missed a 6:15 out of Lone Pine and I 've always just needed to get to Mammoth, which again, both buses do, but if you want to get to Reno . . .

                        8. Are we confused?

                        9. . . . and as to hanging out in the "Dow Spa" an extra day––that's my plan this time––I always feel rushed, getting off the mountain, getting into LP. taking care of chores and then I spend the late night hours sitting in that tub, just still feeling rushed, like getting up early to catch that 6:15 to rush back to all this . . . so this time I am going to go a little slower, sleep in, wander the back streets of LP and just take a few more hours to say goodbye to it all––besides, I hear they put in a new tub and if it's better than the last, well, it'll be really good.

                        BOB

                      • Adam & Paula Salinger
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                          I need Sundays.

                          :)

                          Adam
                        • Chris
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                            Did you try East Side Sierra Shuttle?

                            http://www.eastsidesierrashuttle.com/

                            Chris.

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all...
                            >
                            > Ill be driving into the Portal on a Saturday night and just found there is not ESTA service on Sundays from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes.....
                            >
                            > I found a shuttle fellow that will take me from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes for 200 $
                            > I'd have to hitch from the Portal to Lone Pine and then he would take me to Mammoth Lakes to catch YARTS....but....for 200$....
                            >
                            > Ill be arriving at the Portal in the middle of the night on 8/3 and want to get to Mammoth Lakes as early as possible on the 4th....there are 3 YARTs out of Mammoth Lakes to YNP...at 6 am, 8 am and 10:45 am.....
                            >
                            > Anyone have any other advice than to spend 200$....???
                            >
                            > Really thought that ESTA ran 7 days a week like YARTS in July and August....
                            >
                            > Help.......
                            >
                            > Adam

                          • Don
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 18, 2013
                              Have you thought of just driving directly to Mammoth and leaving your car there (long term parking it available near the Mammoth Lodge where the the YARTS bus stops? When you come out it's easy enough to get to Lone Pine and hitch up to Mammoth or stay the night and catch the bus up to Mammoth (unless your coming out on the weekend).

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "apspds@..." <apspds@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all...
                              >
                              > Ill be driving into the Portal on a Saturday night and just found there is not ESTA service on Sundays from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes.....
                              >
                              > I found a shuttle fellow that will take me from Lone Pine to Mammoth Lakes for 200 $
                              > I'd have to hitch from the Portal to Lone Pine and then he would take me to Mammoth Lakes to catch YARTS....but....for 200$....
                              >
                              > Ill be arriving at the Portal in the middle of the night on 8/3 and want to get to Mammoth Lakes as early as possible on the 4th....there are 3 YARTs out of Mammoth Lakes to YNP...at 6 am, 8 am and 10:45 am.....
                              >
                              > Anyone have any other advice than to spend 200$....???
                              >
                              > Really thought that ESTA ran 7 days a week like YARTS in July and August....
                              >
                              > Help.......
                              >
                              > Adam

                            • Jerry Bridgeman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                                Bus stop in Lone Pine is now at the McDonalds.
                                I caught the northbound bus there last week.
                                I did the South half of JMT, Bishop to Mount Whitney.

                                Jerry
                              • Don Amundson
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                                  Thanks for that info Jerry.  A bit distressing since their web site still shows Statham Hall.  I'd hate to be standing there bleary eyed for a bus that never comes.

                                  Don

                                  To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                                    No, they changed it to McDonalds on the ESTA site---I thought that was a typo..... But just think of all the early morning egg mcmuffins you can now buy.

                                    Bob

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 19, 2013
                                      Well I'll be da....d.  It took a search of three different ESTA sites to find that.  Time for them to clean up their dangling web pages.
                                      The thought of egg mcmuffins weighs heavy on my stomach at the moment but by the time I'm waiting for the bus I'll probably have renewed interest in those hot hockey pucks.

                                      Thanks Bob.

                                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                      CC: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: bobolonius@...
                                      Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:42:23 -0700

                                      No, they changed it to McDonalds on the ESTA site---I thought that was a typo..... But just think of all the early morning egg mcmuffins you can now buy.

                                      Bob

                                    • farnorthsteve
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 20, 2013