Ride from Mono Lake to Yosemite

  • whohasmyalias
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 17, 2013
      Hello all!

      I'm currently in the process of figuring out how to get to and from the JMT this summer. I have a ride on the 23rd of July to Mono Lake area but he can't take me into the park. Does anybody live in that area that could give me a ride, or do you think I'd definitely be able to hitch into the park? I'd like to the park the same day so I can stand in line for a permit the next morning and then hopefully leave on the 25th.

      If this doesn't work out I have plans set up to thru hike the Tahoe Rim Trail. Seems like an awesome trail and is much cheaper and easier logistically, but the JMT has been in my plans for 2 years!

      Thanks!
      - George
    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2013

        ". . . or do you think I'd definitely be able to hitch into the park? I'd like to the park the same day?"

        George,

        it's an easy thumb into the park, especially if your buddy drops you right there at the 395/120 junction . . . everyone going up 120 is, in general, going into the park as there are no other junctions going elsewhere.

        You might get a ride only as far as Tuolomne Meadows, but just put that thumb into over-time and you'll be able to get another ride, soon.

        There are one or two other possibilities, but basically you can get down to the valley floor in 2-4 hours depending on how long you end up standing in one spot.

        Your other easy option is for your buddy to drop you in the lovely little town of Lee Vining, you spend the night and assuming all is well with YARTS, you can catch a ride in the morning and be in the valley by noon.

        BOB