Re: - NB Minimus Zero Trail

  • straw_marmot
    Message 1 of 31 , Jul 17, 2013
      Mine just arrived, a keeper - this is my new best option for JMT.
      Thanks again Roleigh for drawing my attention to these.

      Size 11D weigh 5.0 oz each.
      (I take 11 in Cascadia w/medium sock; 11D Minimus is good barefoot)

      The upper is thin, semi-transparent, but not a mesh - small stones / gravel won't enter.
      They've kept the weight down by making the sole out of one layer of spongy expanded plastic, with a robust grippy Vibram rubber layer bonded to the heel and forefoot.

      These shoes are by some margin the lightest that I've found that satisfy my requirements for a shoe to be worth taking at all:

      (1) Water crossing: secure full lacing, won't get sucked off in heavy water or mud; grippy rubber sole, substantial enough to protect against sharp stones. Dry fast.

      (2) I'm confident that I could hike 50 miles in these in an emergency.
      Soles are sufficiently protective. But no support at all - they feel like you're barefoot with a layer of rubber stuck to your sole. Toe protection is minimal, but small stones won't enter. These are not at all durable - definitely emergency-only.

      They will also be fine as a camp shoe - the spongy inner sole layer makes them pretty comfortable. Obviously not slip-on.

      all the best
      Ralph

      > Men's
      > http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-Zero-Trail/886350667359,default,pd.html
      > Women's
      > http://www.newbalance.com/Minimus-Zero-Trail/WT00,default,pd.html?dwvar_WT00_color=Aquarius_with_Black&start=2&q=minimus%20zero%20trail&cgid=footwear
      >
      > I just ordered - they're on sale. Protip - if you order 1 pair, you pay nonrefundable shipping. If you order 2 pairs, shipping is free. Return shipping is always free. Go figure... so just try 2 sizes with no risk. Available in wide fitting too.
    • coureur_de_boue
      Message 31 of 31 , Jul 17, 2013
        I used these on a day run from the Valley to Half Dome/return in March. They're a fairly robust shoe for the weight...though there is very little cushion.
        Beware the low drop in the heal...if you wear them for extended periods without training, your calves will feel it!