Vegetarian / Vegan Diet

  • passanis80
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17 1:57 PM
      Hello. I've seen a few threads on vegetarian / vegan diets. I'm maintain a fairly disciplined diet at home that I'm hoping to translate onto the trail.

      I'm wondering if anyone has tried to complete the JMT on the following (or similar):

      – Muesli for breakfast
      – Bars and nuts for lunch and snacks
      - Peanut Butter (can you store PB in a zip lock bag or is that asking for trouble?)
      – Quinoa for dinner (still looking for a reasonably priced source of quick-cooking quinoa)

      Not the most balanced diet, but I'm hoping this will keep me going for 2 weeks on the trail.

      I'm handicapping myself somewhat by using a Bearikade Weekender rather than the Expedition, so I need to use some dense food to pack up to 7 days in the can.
    • Wendy Shugar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17 2:35 PM
        You can buy powder peanut butter that is yummy PB2 I think it is called.

        Wendy Shugar
        Articulate Interpreters, Inc.
        6520 Platt Avenue, Suite 218 West Hills, CA 91307

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17 2:50 PM
          I do notice that PB2 has 85% less calories than real PB which may be a drawback unless bringing it along primarily as a flavoring.

          - Bill

        • Wendy Shugar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17 2:57 PM
            Hey bill or just use olive oil instead of water for the calories... it taste great!

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17 3:26 PM
              Yeah, I picked up the PB2 at REI but noticed that the company removed the calories...

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Wendy Shugar <articulate@...> wrote:

              > Hey bill or just use olive oil instead of water for the calories... it taste great!
              >

              > Wendy Shugar
              > Articulate Interpreters, Inc.
              > 6520 Platt Avenue, Suite 218 West Hills, CA 91307
              > Telephone: 800/388-3099 818/704-4895 Fax: 818/704-7982
              >

              > ________________________________

            • longritchie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 17 4:51 PM
                PB2 is designed for long term storage like for your backyard bomb shelter or your zombie preparedness kit. For backpacking just take your favorite peanut butter either in a small plastic jar or a jerry tube. A ziplock would work but be kind of messy.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "passanis80" <sean.passanisi@...> wrote:

                > Yeah, I picked up the PB2 at REI but noticed that the company removed the calories...
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Wendy Shugar <articulate@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey bill or just use olive oil instead of water for the calories... it taste great!
                > >

                > > Wendy Shugar
                > > Articulate Interpreters, Inc.
                > > 6520 Platt Avenue, Suite 218 West Hills, CA 91307
                > > Telephone: 800/388-3099 818/704-4895 Fax: 818/704-7982
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • Theresa
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 17 5:01 PM
                  You could buy the pre packaged 1.15oz pb made by Justin's.  I bought mine via Amazon.  I add a pack of Stinger honey to the pb pack and there you have it....the honey can also be use for wound care and in place of gu...yummy

                  Ciao
                  Namaste,
                  Theresa Gilliland

                  505-797-2993 hm