Re: [John Muir Trail] Mosquitoes

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
      Every year is different depending on how much snow there is, and how hot it gets, which translates into how fast the snow melts. Once the snow melts the meadows start to dry out so the later in the season it is the drier it is, which results in less mosquitoes. Another factor is where you camp. Camp in more open areas with a breeze and they'll be less of a problem. I usually find that after about 9PM there are less mosquitoes as it gets too cold for them.

      On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Kyle Arn <arn.kyle@...> wrote:

      I am planning on hiking the southern half of the JMT next year southbound, and I was thinking about doing an ultra light tarp instead of a tent.  When is the best time to avoid moquitoes?

      Kyle

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013

        "When is the best time to avoid mosquitoes?"

        I hate to rely on experience, but mid-august is a great time . . . the bugs magically vanish. Since "96 I've experienced  july on the JMT a few times and that was not fun.

        I finally started doing it on or after the 15th of August and it's been relatively bug-less. I can pretty much say I never bother to even use bug juice (I bring a little) and I gave up the oh so heavy extra weight of a head-net a long time ago.

        Even mid-august of 2011––a big,late, snow season––wasn't bad in mid-august . . . (or maybe like the blood banks the mosquitos finally got handed a directive, prohibiting them from biting anyone that was in Europe between 78-81 and all that mad cow stuff . . . that's why they don't bug me)

        I also don't bother with tarps or anything that might let even one bug in. I zip up tight and kill whatever might have got in the tent while I was setting up. I like it that way, because they're still out there and they want you.

        Thing about late august and september is just that things are getting colder and there's always a chance of weather coming in . . . if you like sitting under an exposed sort of tarp during a nice storm or wind, go for it.

        BOB

      • Bill Heiser
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
          It seems like it varies a lot from year to year.  I was on the trail for 30 days during the month of August last year (HI -> WP) and had essentially "no" mosquitoes.  I didn't apply DEET even once.  The only issue I had with insects was really bad flies (like housefly type flies) at the campsite near the Mono Creek Trail by Edison Lake.  There I had to wear my hoodie, even when it was too warm for it, to keep them at bay.

          July 17, 2013 11:26 AM

          First week of September or later depending on the weather. In 2011 there were a lot of mosquitoes even in late Aug/early September. Who knows how 2014 will turn out.

        Message 4 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
          I'll second that!

          I used to work for logging company in British Columbia & Avon's Skin-so-soft was what we stocked for the loggers...because it worked.