Dehydrator adventures 1

  • pottertax
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
      I spread a storebought can of refried beans on my dehydrator. It worked! One regular sized can shinked to 2/3 cup powder crumble. (83 grams). It came back to life pretty decently with 1.3 cups of boiled water.
      Also dehydrated some canned kidney beans. They dried and kind of split, but they seem usable. I can work some sort of rice topping with that. Still need to see if they will soften up upon boil or turn into gummy bullet centers.
      The chicken experiment needs some rework. Pressure cooked a breast, chopped it up into 1/8" slices then broke those pieces into 1/2" chunks before dehydrating. then brought it to boil and let it sit for 20 minutes. It came back to life, but Mr. Frankenstein would not have approved. It had the consistency of half chicken, half chicken jerkey. Dog loved it. It had full chicken flavor. I susplect the thin store slice type might work better, or i probably will have to leave no remnants of chicken fibers (go with more of a minced cut before dehydrating). Those fibers seem to turn into tiny ropes that dont want to change back. What's up with that Alton Brown?
      Chopped some small green onions and dehydrated them. Worked as an excellent soup and mash potato topping.
      I simply refuse to eat the same old crap this year (i typically skimp way too much on food planning) and am going throughnevery recipe resource i have from freezerbag cooking to NOLs ccokbook to get some variety and something decent. My favorites so far are curry blocks for sauce and coconut milk powder. Thai on the JMT this year baby!
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pottertax" <pottertax@...> wrote:

        > I spread a storebought can of refried beans on my dehydrator. It worked! One regular sized can shinked to 2/3 cup powder crumble. (83 grams). It came back to life pretty decently with 1.3 cups of boiled water.

        The Santa Fe brand of refried beans is a good alternative for those who are not dehydrating:

        http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Fe-Bean-Vegetarian-7-25-Ounce/dp/B000FICDO8/ref=pd_bxgy_gro_text_z

        Tastes great and relatively cheap. I mix half a package of Santa Fe with half a package of Knorr Spanish or Mexican Rice and use two tortillas to make burritos on the trail. A couple of packets of taco bell hot sauce makes it even better. The combination reconstitutes pretty well with boiling water and 10-15 minutes in a pot cozy. Sometimes requires a brief reheat to finish.
      • JamesB
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pottertax" <pottertax@...> wrote:

          > The chicken experiment needs some rework. Pressure cooked a breast, chopped it up into 1/8" slices then broke those pieces into 1/2" chunks before dehydrating. then brought it to boil and let it sit for 20 minutes. It came back to life, but Mr. Frankenstein would not have approved. It had the consistency of half chicken, half chicken jerkey. Dog loved it. It had full chicken flavor. I suspect the thin store slice type might work better, or i probably will have to leave no remnants of chicken fibers (go with more of a minced cut before dehydrating). Those fibers seem to turn into tiny ropes that dont want to change back. What's up with that Alton Brown?

          The Freezer Bag (dehydrated food preparation method) people state that buying canned cooked chicken and then dehydrating it works well. I have long planned to experiment with this, but have never done so.