RE: [John Muir Trail] Waiting inside Yosemite for first-come permit

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2013
      "I will also be in the same boat. How bad is the line on a weekday in August? I plan on arriving on 8/14 or 8/15 and hope to start the next day!"

      Not that it's any guarantee but I have done it a bunch of times,  arriving on AUGUST 15th, on AMTRAK at about 1:45 p.m. and walking out with pretty much just the permit I've wanted.

      --always a variation on the happy isles trailhead––never had to start anywhere else.

      mid-august is always good and this has been a low snow year with lots of people choosing to go earlier . . . I made that video and had to get in line early in 2011 which was a heavy snow year and everyone just had to wait until August to do the trail or whatever else in Yosemite.

      there were probably four of us in the entire line trying for a JMT permit . . . this year ought to be easy.

      BOB