How many people walk the JMT per year?

  • longritchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
      Anybody know?
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
        There is a thread on this topic in the archives from not to long ago. The short answer is "no", nobody knows. The data exists (i.e. permits written in Yosemite with Whitney/Cottonwood exits, and vis versa, PCT thru hikers, etc) but to the best of my knowledge that data hasn't been analyzed and or summarized. Once it is, it will still be unknown how many of those permittees finish without exit interviews.

        Anyone need a Masters thesis?

        JD

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, longritchie wrote:

        > Anybody know?

      • longritchie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2013
          Thanks. I had searched before posting but didn't use the right keywords I guess. Now the topic you refer to pops right up for me:

          Somewhere I had read it was around 200-250 people that walk the JMT in a typical year, but that can't be right. I swear I saw that many recently when I spent 3 days walking along just a part of the JMT!

          I hadn't even thought about the PCT folks who walk most of the JMT as part of the PCT. And probably a fair number of them detour to Whitney and Yosemite Valley along the way.