Re: Heading out SHR and JMT

  • mjboucher2
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 16, 2013
      "... I will be wearing my John Muir button on my hat for anybody who really gets lost and passes trails with us."

      You make it sound like if they're lost, they'll find you, b/c YOU are lost.

      lol :)
    • Donna Johnson
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
        I am planning on a first time hike of the JMT with a friend who is terrified of the mosquitos. As a hiker in the Colorado Rockies, this was never an overwhelming problem. She was swarmed by them while visiting Alaska. We are picking a date and she wants to wait until mosquitos are history and I am worried about the cold. Our tentative date is August 21. Are mosquitos a big problem any time of the year on the trail? Donna
      • Jill Richardson
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
          Not that late in the season. I went starting in early July last year. There were a few bad spots but not many. Tully Hole, Sunrise Creek, between MTR and Marie Lake. That was about it.

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
            Donna --

            Given your dates, mosquitoes should be a modest issue at worst. Camping relatively high and not close to water will further reduce the problem. Note that if you get to a lovely lake with a nice breeze in the late afternoon the breeze will almost always keep the mosquitoes away in August. As the sun starts to go down, however, the breeze will weaken and skeeters may appear. (The wind will pick up later in the evening)

            If you are worried about skeeters, consider eating dinner at a lake or near a stream but move away from water to sleep. Campsites tend to congregate near water, but there are lovely dry campsites along the entire trail if you look for them.

            On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:30 AM, Donna Johnson donnarusho@... [johnmuirtrail] <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            I am planning on a first time hike of the JMT with a friend who is terrified of the mosquitos. As a hiker in the Colorado Rockies, this was never an overwhelming problem. She was swarmed by them while visiting Alaska. We are picking a date and she wants to wait until mosquitos are history and I am worried about the cold. Our tentative date is August 21. Are mosquitos a big problem any time of the year on the trail? Donna

          • Peter Hirst
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 21, 2015
              Mosquitos atre normally long gone by Aug 21.  I last went Aug 5, and had zero mozzies.