Waiting inside Yosemite for first-come permit

  • brett_d@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16 7:11 AM
      Greetings!

      Me and a friend are relying on first-come-first-serve permits for our JMT hike. We have to fly in to Fresno and then bus our way to the park, and won't make it in until about 8 or 9pm. There aren't any more campsites available, and we don't expect to get a walk-up campsite. What is the typical method of waiting around for a permit? Our plan right now is to just head straight to the permit office after we walk around the park a bit, but we aren't sure if the rangers will let us wait in line as early as 10pm the night before, or if we need to strategically stall for some undefined time before it's 'okay' to get in line in front of the permit office. Ideally, we'd get in line as soon as we get to the park. We just haven't been able to tell if that is not the proper procedure.

      What time is 'okay' for the permit-line to start forming? We want to be first in line...

      And is it legal to just wander around at night? I'm assuming as long as we don't set up camp somewhere we should be okay.

      Thank you for the help!
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16 7:24 AM
        Based on the following thread, someone arriving by bus is permitted to stay at the backpackers campground for one night upon arrival:

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, brett_d@... <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > Me and a friend are relying on first-come-first-serve permits for our JMT hike. We have to fly in to Fresno and then bus our way to the park, and won't make it in until about 8 or 9pm. There aren't any more campsites available, and we don't expect to get a walk-up campsite. What is the typical method of waiting around for a permit? Our plan right now is to just head straight to the permit office after we walk around the park a bit, but we aren't sure if the rangers will let us wait in line as early as 10pm the night before, or if we need to strategically stall for some undefined time before it's 'okay' to get in line in front of the permit office. Ideally, we'd get in line as soon as we get to the park. We just haven't been able to tell if that is not the proper procedure.
        >
        > What time is 'okay' for the permit-line to start forming? We want to be first in line...
        >
        > And is it legal to just wander around at night? I'm assuming as long as we don't set up camp somewhere we should be okay.
        >
        > Thank you for the help!

      • mrbrett72
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16 7:54 AM
          Beautiful, thank you! We were not looking forward to having to run around the park all night. Thank you for directing us in the right direction!
        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16 11:18 AM
            "Our plan right now is to just head straight to the permit office after we walk around the park a bit . . . "

            Your immediate plan should be, once you get into the valley to secure a spot in the backpackers camp  ground.

            The Amtrak bus will drop you right there at the visitor center––the permit office is off to the right, just past the Ansel Adams Gallery and before the post office.

            I would make a quick dash over there to the permit office just to see if there's a line forming . . . and if so, one of you should maybe set up camp, or you could both just cave in and decide this is where you will spend the night.

            I wouldn't get elaborate for the first few hours––maybe just sit there on the stoop, but later, pull out a pad, maybe your bag.

            There might just be a set of rules and regs regarding waiting in the permit line, but . . . people camp out there all the time. i wouldn't worry about getting there too early.

            the permit office @ 40 seconds in . . .

            BOB

          • passanis80
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16 4:21 PM
              I will also be in the same boat. How bad is the line on a weekday in August? I plan on arriving on 8/14 or 8/15 and hope to start the next day!

              > "Our plan right now is to just head straight to the permit office after we walk around the park a bit . . . "
              >
              > Your immediate plan should be, once you get into the valley to secure a spot in the backpackers camp ground.
              > The Amtrak bus will drop you right there at the visitor center––the permit office is off to the right, just past the Ansel Adams Gallery and before the post office.
              > I would make a quick dash over there to the permit office just to see if there's a line forming . . . and if so, one of you should maybe set up camp, or you could both just cave in and decide this is where you will spend the night.
              > I wouldn't get elaborate for the first few hours––maybe just sit there on the stoop, but later, pull out a pad, maybe your bag.
              > There might just be a set of rules and regs regarding waiting in the permit line, but . . . people camp out there all the time. i wouldn't worry about getting there too early.
              > the permit office @ 40 seconds in . . .
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHEZo9X_ilc
              >

              > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 16 4:43 PM
                "I will also be in the same boat. How bad is the line on a weekday in August? I plan on arriving on 8/14 or 8/15 and hope to start the next day!"

                Not that it's any guarantee but I have done it a bunch of times,  arriving on AUGUST 15th, on AMTRAK at about 1:45 p.m. and walking out with pretty much just the permit I've wanted.

                --always a variation on the happy isles trailhead––never had to start anywhere else.

                mid-august is always good and this has been a low snow year with lots of people choosing to go earlier . . . I made that video and had to get in line early in 2011 which was a heavy snow year and everyone just had to wait until August to do the trail or whatever else in Yosemite.

                there were probably four of us in the entire line trying for a JMT permit . . . this year ought to be easy.

                BOB