Re: first aid kit

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 16 7:00 AM
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Don" <amrowinc@...> wrote:
      >If you haven't needed immodium before on the trail why bring it now unless you're planning on a menu of items you haven't tried before (I don't recommend anyone doing that).
      >
      > "Rolled gauze - 1 sterile roll, 2 inches x 4.1 yds"
      >
      > 12+ feet? I doubt I've used that much gauze in my whole life. I figure if I need to wrap wound I'll sacrifice my bandana.

      The imodium is there mainly in case of water related problems although that risk seems pretty low. I have yet to have any water related issues when using aquamira and the places I have taken water from recently are quite a bit more suspect than anything I am likely to encounter on the JMT.

      I wanted to keep the gauze in its sterile packaging and this was the smallest one I found. Luckily it weighs only 0.2 ounce so it is not that big of a deal.
    • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 27, 2013
        The ESSENTIAL item is 'second skin' or any other antiseptic liquid bandage product (Walgreens carries them) to cover scrapes, cuts, blisters, burns, etc.

        Also, let me plug for injinji socks to prevent blisters forming in the first place.

        Ken.