Re: Sending bear canister in MTR resupply?

  • Gail
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2013
      Maybe this is crazy, but: What if you brought a five gallon bucket with you to Yosemite, rented a Garcia there for $5 a week (http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcanrentals.htm), dropped it in the five gallon bucket along with the rest of your resupply, and mailed your MTR resupply from Yosemite Valley before starting your hike? (I suppose, depending on your timing, that by doing that you'd risk getting to MTR before your bucket did. And you'd have to return the Garcia to somewhere in Yosemite after your hike. But it's an idea.)

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "tamirph" <tamirph@...> wrote:

      > Hubby and I are going to be hiking the trail in September and MTR is going to be our last resupply. If we are renting a Bearikade Expedition...is it feasible that we could do the first half of the trail with just the Expedition and then buy a second bear canister & mail it in the resupply to MTR? I am thinking that if we do a resupply at Tuolomne & Red's that Expedition would have plenty of room for both of our food for the first half. Just wondering the pro's and con's of doing this--obviously one con is buying a bear canister vs renting. Thanks!!

    • Herb
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2013
        When I hiked the JMT there were 3 in our party. We carried two cans and mailed a third to Muir Trail Ranch (MTR) with our supplies, thus saving the weight of an extra can for a week. We resupplied at the same places you plan to. Two cans was way more space than we needed for 3. Depending on the number of days you plan between Reds and MTR, a single well-packed can should be sufficient to get you there. Remember too, that the food consumed during the first day of a resupply need not fit into the can.

        Herb