tent sites at Rosalie and Gladys Lakes?

  • sourdocurt
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
      Are tent sites near Rosalie and Gladys Lakes, as ID'd in the Erik the Black and Wenk books (4.10, 4.11), still legal? Many months ago, in the early stages of my route planning, I made a note they might not be there anymore, but can't find any details now.

      Thanks!
      Curt
    • vege_matic
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
        In 2011 we camped in one of the several sites at Rosalie Lake. We saw no signage to indicate that it was illegal. Were you thinking it was made illegal more recently than 2011?
        -vegematic

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

        > Are tent sites near Rosalie and Gladys Lakes, as ID'd in the Erik the Black and Wenk books (4.10, 4.11), still legal? Many months ago, in the early stages of my route planning, I made a note they might not be there anymore, but can't find any details now.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Curt

      • krishna9012
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
          yes, on the east side of Rosalie and north of the creek (the ck could be dry now). We camped there and did take a dip in the lake where there were several logs conveniently located. This flat area can easily accommodate 4 or 5 tents. We have seen hikers late in the evening passing us to find spots further east from lake shore.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

          > Are tent sites near Rosalie and Gladys Lakes, as ID'd in the Erik the Black and Wenk books (4.10, 4.11), still legal? Many months ago, in the early stages of my route planning, I made a note they might not be there anymore, but can't find any details now.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Curt

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
            Rosalie has lots of good spots to camp. I wouldn't bother with Gladys as it is a bit marshy and usually one big bug-fest! There are many established, hardened camp sites at Rosalie. A few on the right side, downhill from the trail as you crest the ridge, ( SOBO ), and a number of spots on your left near the outlet and beyond.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

            > Are tent sites near Rosalie and Gladys Lakes, as ID'd in the Erik the Black and Wenk books (4.10, 4.11), still legal? Many months ago, in the early stages of my route planning, I made a note they might not be there anymore, but can't find any details now.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Curt

          • ravi_jmt2013
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
              Is there a consensus on whether it is appropriate to camp in "pristine" areas - that is, where an obvious camp has not been previously made at the location? As far as I know, there is no prohibition against doing so along the JMT as long as the area itself allows camping.

              Where I normally backpack, "pristine" camping is permitted but the rule is that you can only stay in such locations for one night which is fine with me. On the couple of occasions when I have done this, I have avoided camping on sensitive vegetation and have left the location in the same state that it was in before to avoid creating a new "established site".

              The advantages of not using established sites include: more solitude which is sometimes (not always) desirable, more comfortable place to sleep since the site isn't compacted, usually easier to stake out the shelter, lower probability of unwanted animal encounters, and well located sites seem to drain better than compacted sites when it rains.

              I thought of asking about this due to the reference to "hardened" sites at Rosalie lake ...

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                I used the 'hardened' not so much for the hard earth, but because it needs no alterations to make it useable; moving logs, rocks, twigs ect around for a tent pad and cooking area, fire pit, ( when applicable ). The rangers i have talked with over the years in SEKI prefer you use these spots, even when too close to water sources rather than make a new spot where none was before. Even using LNT ethics, you will leave a mark in pristine spots inviting others to do the same until you eventually have another 'hardened' campsite. I usually try to camp above treeline anyways so I can find those nice decomposed granite filled ledges with nice solid granite rocks to sit or lean on, and you hardly know anyone was there after we leave.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                  >Even using LNT ethics, you will leave a mark in pristine spots inviting others to do the same until you eventually have another 'hardened' campsite.

                  I agree that it is inevitable that some signs will remain for at least a short time. I have tried to set up such camps in places outside the direct line of sight from the trail to avoid attracting future hikers to the same location. But it is good to know that the SEKI rangers prefer it when people use pre established sites. With the high use on the JMT that is probably a good policy.
                • Alex Cheng
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                    I would disagree with Robert regarding Gladys Lake.  Personally, I like Gladys because it's an easy 6 mile mostly downhill (with the exception being a .25 mile uphill at the very beginning) hike to Reds.  When I do this hike in the morning, I find no need to stop to rest or take a drink - and when I reach Reds, I don't even feel the slightest bit tired.  This hike will take about 2 hours past thousands of recently downed fir trees.  Although the trail has been cleared, it's definitely not among the most beautiful JMT scenery you'll see.  Once I get to Reds, I can shower, get resupplied and continue on to Deer Creek.

                    From Rosalie Lake, or especially Shadow Lake, there is a slightly moderate uphill climb to get to Gladys.

                    Another reason I like camping at Gladys Lake is because it's got a few very good campsites, with easy water access (including for swimming).  Here is a description of the 5 sites at Gladys that I'm personally familiar with - from best to worst.
                    (1)  Best!  On south side of Gladys Lake (and east side of JMT trail), pass through the campsite designated for stock, then pass by another campsite - until you reach a campsite that has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  This site has a easy path to the lake and if you look in the opposite direction of the lake, there is a very nice view of a huge canyon.
                    (2)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of side of JMT trail), the first campsite past the campsite designated for stock.  This campsite also has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  It has a easy path to the lake, but does not have a nice view of the canyon behind it, just a rock outcropping.
                    (3)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of the JMT trail), this 'stock only campsite' is good, but not great.  Very little residue from stock animals, so you know it's not heavily used by stock animals.  Does not have views, not particularly easy access to water and it's a little close to the JMT trail.
                    (4)  As you are reaching the southern side of Gladys Lake (west of the JMT trail), there is a campsite with at least 2 flat areas for tents.  This site has easy access to the lake, but is a little too close to the JMT for me.
                    (5)  Worst!  This campsite is on the northern side of Gladys Lake and is mostly sloped and shady.  I don't recommend this one.

                    When I was at Gladys Lake last fall, I talked to a ranger who was clearing fire pits from some of the Gladys Lake sites.  Although campfires are NOT allowed, camping is OK!

                    Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year.  Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake.

                    Rosalie has lots of good spots to camp. I wouldn't bother with Gladys as it is a bit marshy and usually one big bug-fest! There are many established, hardened camp sites at Rosalie. A few on the right side, downhill from the trail as you crest the ridge, ( SOBO ), and a number of spots on your left near the outlet and beyond.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

                    > Are tent sites near Rosalie and Gladys Lakes, as ID'd in the Erik the Black and Wenk books (4.10, 4.11), still legal? Many months ago, in the early stages of my route planning, I made a note they might not be there anymore, but can't find any details now.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Curt

                  • sourdocurt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                      Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll ignore that cryptic note I put on my map this past winter :)

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Alex Cheng <ralexcheng@...> wrote:

                      > I would disagree with Robert regarding Gladys Lake.  Personally, I like Gladys because it's an easy 6 mile mostly downhill (with the exception being a .25 mile uphill at the very beginning) hike to Reds.  When I do this hike in the morning, I find no need to stop to rest or take a drink - and when I reach Reds, I don't even feel the slightest bit tired.  This hike will take about 2 hours past thousands of recently downed fir trees.  Although the trail has been cleared, it's definitely not among the most beautiful JMT scenery you'll see.  Once I get to Reds, I can shower, get resupplied and continue on to Deer Creek.
                      >
                      > From Rosalie Lake, or especially Shadow Lake, there is a slightly moderate uphill climb to get to Gladys.
                      >
                      > Another reason I like camping at Gladys Lake is because it's got a few very good campsites, with easy water access (including for swimming).  Here is a description of the 5 sites at Gladys that I'm personally familiar with - from best to worst.
                      > (1)  Best!  On south side of Gladys Lake (and east side of JMT trail), pass through the campsite designated for stock, then pass by another campsite - until you reach a campsite that has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  This site has a easy path to the lake and if you look in the opposite direction of the lake, there is a very nice view of a huge canyon.
                      > (2)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of side of JMT trail), the first campsite past the campsite designated for stock.  This campsite also has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  It has a easy path to the lake, but does not have a nice view of the canyon behind it, just a rock outcropping.
                      > (3)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of the JMT trail), this 'stock only campsite' is good, but not great.  Very little residue from stock animals, so you know it's not heavily used by stock animals.  Does not have views, not particularly easy access to water and it's a little close to the JMT trail.
                      > (4)  As you are reaching the southern side of Gladys Lake (west of the JMT trail), there is a campsite with at least 2 flat areas for tents.  This site has easy access to the lake, but is a little too close to the JMT for me.
                      > (5)  Worst!  This campsite is on the northern side of Gladys Lake and is mostly sloped and shady.  I don't recommend this one.
                      >
                      > When I was at Gladys Lake last fall, I talked to a ranger who was clearing fire pits from some of the Gladys Lake sites.  Although campfires are NOT allowed, camping is OK!
                      >
                      > Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year.  Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Alex Cheng
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                        Big Oops.  I mixed up the words 'north' and 'south' below.  How embarassing!  I have corrected them in CAPITALS (below).  Sorry for the confusion.

                        I would disagree with Robert regarding Gladys Lake.  Personally, I like Gladys because it's an easy 6 mile mostly downhill (with the exception being a .25 mile uphill at the very beginning) hike to Reds.  When I do this hike in the morning, I find no need to stop to rest or take a drink - and when I reach Reds, I don't even feel the slightest bit tired.  This hike will take about 2 hours past thousands of recently downed fir trees.  Although the trail has been cleared, it's definitely not among the most beautiful JMT scenery you'll see.  Once I get to Reds, I can shower, get resupplied and continue on to Deer Creek.

                        From Rosalie Lake, or especially Shadow Lake, there is a slightly moderate uphill climb to get to Gladys.

                        Another reason I like camping at Gladys Lake is because it's got a few very good campsites, with easy water access (including for swimming).  Here is a description of the 5 sites at Gladys that I'm personally familiar with - from best to worst.
                        (1)  Best!  On NORTH side of Gladys Lake (and east side of JMT trail), pass through the campsite designated for stock, then pass by another campsite - until you reach a campsite that has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  This site has a easy path to the lake and if you look in the opposite direction of the lake, there is a very nice view of a huge canyon.
                        (2)  On the NORTH side of Gladys Lake (and east of side of JMT trail), the first campsite past the campsite designated for stock.  This campsite also has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  It has a easy path to the lake, but does not have a nice view of the canyon behind it, just a rock outcropping.
                        (3)  On the NORTH side of Gladys Lake (and east of the JMT trail), this 'stock only campsite' is good, but not great.  Very little residue from stock animals, so you know it's not heavily used by stock animals.  Does not have views, not particularly easy access to water and it's a little close to the JMT trail.
                        (4)  Still on the NORTH side of Gladys Lake (west of the JMT trail), there is a campsite with at least 2 flat areas for tents.  This site has easy access to the lake, but is a little too close to the JMT for me.
                        (5)  Worst!  This campsite is on the SOUTHERN side of Gladys Lake and is mostly sloped and shady.  I don't recommend this one.

                        When I was at Gladys Lake last fall, I talked to a ranger who was clearing fire pits from some of the Gladys Lake sites.  Although campfires are NOT allowed, camping is OK!

                        Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year.  Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake.

                        Rosalie has lots of good spots to camp. I wouldn't bother with Gladys as it is a bit marshy and usually one big bug-fest! There are many established, hardened camp sites at Rosalie. A few on the right side, downhill from the trail as you crest the ridge, ( SOBO ), and a number of spots on your left near the outlet and beyond.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sourdocurt" <curt@...> wrote:

                        > Are tent sites near Rosalie and Gladys Lakes, as ID'd in the Erik the Black and Wenk books (4.10, 4.11), still legal? Many months ago, in the early stages of my route planning, I made a note they might not be there anymore, but can't find any details now.
                        >
                        > Thanks!
                        > Curt

                      • Herb
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                          I believe the preference along the JMT proper is to use established sites. Although that causes overuse of some areas, it prevents the proliferation of camp sites.

                          Having said that, if you go off trail a reasonable distance and camp on a hard or non-living surfaces that will not be impacted by your stay, I think most would find that ethical. As you suggest, the site should be left such that visually it does not appear to have been used. Don't walk to and from your camp using the same path in order to prevent 'social trailing'.

                          Herb

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                            "Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year. Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake."

                            This is probably true! I just know of the three worst locations I have ever camped along the JMT over the years, Gladys Lake was on top! Followed very closely by Tully Hole and Wallace Creek. Honorable mention: Arrowhead Lake: ) ! As usual, timing was probably everything with skeeter season, and its one reason I normally hike in mid-August to avoid them now!

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Alex Cheng <ralexcheng@...> wrote:

                            > I would disagree with Robert regarding Gladys Lake.  Personally, I like Gladys because it's an easy 6 mile mostly downhill (with the exception being a .25 mile uphill at the very beginning) hike to Reds.  When I do this hike in the morning, I find no need to stop to rest or take a drink - and when I reach Reds, I don't even feel the slightest bit tired.  This hike will take about 2 hours past thousands of recently downed fir trees.  Although the trail has been cleared, it's definitely not among the most beautiful JMT scenery you'll see.  Once I get to Reds, I can shower, get resupplied and continue on to Deer Creek.
                            >
                            > From Rosalie Lake, or especially Shadow Lake, there is a slightly moderate uphill climb to get to Gladys.
                            >
                            > Another reason I like camping at Gladys Lake is because it's got a few very good campsites, with easy water access (including for swimming).  Here is a description of the 5 sites at Gladys that I'm personally familiar with - from best to worst.
                            > (1)  Best!  On south side of Gladys Lake (and east side of JMT trail), pass through the campsite designated for stock, then pass by another campsite - until you reach a campsite that has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  This site has a easy path to the lake and if you look in the opposite direction of the lake, there is a very nice view of a huge canyon.
                            > (2)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of side of JMT trail), the first campsite past the campsite designated for stock.  This campsite also has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  It has a easy path to the lake, but does not have a nice view of the canyon behind it, just a rock outcropping.
                            > (3)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of the JMT trail), this 'stock only campsite' is good, but not great.  Very little residue from stock animals, so you know it's not heavily used by stock animals.  Does not have views, not particularly easy access to water and it's a little close to the JMT trail.
                            > (4)  As you are reaching the southern side of Gladys Lake (west of the JMT trail), there is a campsite with at least 2 flat areas for tents.  This site has easy access to the lake, but is a little too close to the JMT for me.
                            > (5)  Worst!  This campsite is on the northern side of Gladys Lake and is mostly sloped and shady.  I don't recommend this one.
                            >
                            > When I was at Gladys Lake last fall, I talked to a ranger who was clearing fire pits from some of the Gladys Lake sites.  Although campfires are NOT allowed, camping is OK!
                            >
                            > Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year.  Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake.
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • krishna9012
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 15, 2013
                              Did any one try camping at Trinity Lakes a little further down from Rosalie and Gladys? How are those camp sites/ Thanks!

> [...]
                              > > (4)  As you are reaching the southern side of Gladys Lake (west of the JMT trail), there is a campsite with at least 2 flat areas for tents.  This site has easy access to the lake, but is a little too close to the JMT for me.
                              > > (5)  Worst!  This campsite is on the northern side of Gladys Lake and is mostly sloped and shady.  I don't recommend this one.
                              > >
                              > > When I was at Gladys Lake last fall, I talked to a ranger who was clearing fire pits from some of the Gladys Lake sites.  Although campfires are NOT allowed, camping is OK!
                              > >
                              > > Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year.  Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake.

                            • Don Amundson
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 16, 2013
                                I camped there in 2009 with 2 friends.  The campsite we used was nice but was about wiped out in the big wind storm.  See the pics.

                                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                From: krishna9012@...
                                Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 03:57:03 +0000

                                Did any one try camping at Trinity Lakes a little further down from Rosalie and Gladys? How are those camp sites/ Thanks!

                              • casey
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 17, 2013
                                  I was at Gladys Lake last night, camped at the last tent site on the north side. Mosquitoes weren't bad at all until 7 p.m. or so. Not bothersome even then. My traveling companion slept out on his groundcloth. They were really bad going up Island Pass.