Re: Current water availability/Improving the Postholer milepost file

  • steve herr
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2013
      All-

      I'd like to use water reports in this dry year to rate the streams.

      I'm thinking of improving Postholer's milepost file with stream rankings - ie, 5 = good any time, 4 = fails in early September in dry year, 3 = fails in August in dry year, 2= fails in July in dry year, 1 fails in June in dry year.

      Other items to add would include bear boxes, other natural features on side trails, locations of dangerous rock monsters, distance/elevation from trail jcts to entry/bailout points, good campsites, camping  restriction zones, phone numbers for emergencies in the different jurisdictions and where the jurisdictions change, and (ugh) cell phone reception.  Eventually I'd like to make it file that you print onto the backside of each of the Postholer maps.  If you want to contribute notes of any of the above, send me an email.

      Don't get me wrong, I don't want people to spend their whole trip with their nose to the map and milepost page, I just want to give (mostly) first timers some confidence as to what to expect up ahead so they can plan their stopping and watering points better.