Re: Current water availability and stream crossings

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
      The only thing of concern to me is....are the mosquitoes dying down?? : ) !

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

      > I seen reports from several on this forum that they finished the JMT hike. Are there any reports on the water availability, specifically on long dry stretches, like LYV thru Cathedral lakes etc? How about stream crossings, specifically, the bear creek, evolution creek etc?
      > How are the high passes - are there still snow patches? Appreciate any info.
      > Krishna

    • John
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013

        > The only thing of concern to me is....are the mosquitoes dying down?? : ) !

        Definitely not as of this morning (and last week) at 10,000'!

        John
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
          Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!! Thanks John!

          I'd rather have dry stretches than mozzies.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
            On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
            I'd rather have dry stretches than mozzies.

            That's the tradeoff we September hikers will have this year

          • John
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
              Robert

              I was in Dusy early this past week, still bad there though I was blessed with wind, Ritter Range was quite bad mornings and evenings.
              You guys going to be at Grouse on the 17th? Then how many days to Bishop Pass?

              John

              > Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!! Thanks John!
              >
              > I'd rather have dry stretches than mozzies.
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
              > >

              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The only thing of concern to me is....are the mosquitoes dying down?? : ) !
              > > >
              > > Definitely not as of this morning (and last week) at 10,000'!
              > >
              > > John

            • Joe MacLeish
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013

                John:

                We (Robert) are/is planning 5-6 days for the whole thing.  He has done it before, I haven't.

                Joe

                I was in Dusy early this past week, still bad there though I was blessed with wind, Ritter Range was quite bad mornings and evenings.
                You guys going to be at Grouse on the 17th? Then how many days to Bishop Pass?

                John

                > Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!! Thanks John!
                >
                > I'd rather have dry stretches than mozzies.
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > The only thing of concern to me is....are the mosquitoes dying down?? : ) !
                > > >
                > > Definitely not as of this morning (and last week) at 10,000'!
                > >
                > > John

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
                  John, Yes, Grouse Lake on the 17th! I get a bonus night somewhere along Bubbs Creek, as I am coming in the day before over Kearsarge. Getting a later start than I would like, but am shooting for somewhere between Viddette Mdw. and Sphinx Creek Jct. on the 16th. Any recommendations for decent camping in that neck of the woods? Are you going to be traipsing around up in that area during that time?

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                  > John:
                  >
                  > We (Robert) are/is planning 5-6 days for the whole thing. He has done it
                  > before, I haven't.
                  >
                  > Joe

                • sriprank
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
                    Junction Meadow is nice. Closer you get to Sphinx Juction you get Bears-Bears-and more Bears. There used to be Campgrounds at Charlotte Creek and Sphinx (with bear boxes) but didn't see them last year but we were moving. I did the same thing last year and we went over Kersarge late in the afternoon and made it down to Kersarge Lakes. Next day started early and it was HOT!!! Made it to Roads End and up to Lower Tent Meadow. Going up Copper Creek there are beautiful wild bears (the one eating berries and not snickers)

                    > John, Yes, Grouse Lake on the 17th! I get a bonus night somewhere along Bubbs Creek, as I am coming in the day before over Kearsarge. Getting a later start than I would like, but am shooting for somewhere between Viddette Mdw. and Sphinx Creek Jct. on the 16th. Any recommendations for decent camping in that neck of the woods? Are you going to be traipsing around up in that area during that time?
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > John:
                    > >
                    > > We (Robert) are/is planning 5-6 days for the whole thing. He has done it
                    > > before, I haven't.
                    > >
                    > > Joe

                  • Robert
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
                      Sriprank, thanks! I will probably want a bear box the first night as all of my food and first aid kit probably won't fit in my bearcan. Was the creek still flowing at Lower Tent Meadows last year when you were there. I remember a few side creeks crossing the trail before hitting Lower Tent Mdw, but they looked pretty seasonal. The only one I am counting on for water is the LTM creek. I have heard Lower Tent Mdws is known for the bears that hang out around there. It's good to hear they don't have to live off human food! Good to know about the Sphinx Creek Jct. That may have been pushing it a bit for a 11 - noon start at Onion Valley! Thanks again.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@...> wrote:

                      > Junction Meadow is nice. Closer you get to Sphinx Juction you get Bears-Bears-and more Bears. There used to be Campgrounds at Charlotte Creek and Sphinx (with bear boxes) but didn't see them last year but we were moving. I did the same thing last year and we went over Kersarge late in the afternoon and made it down to Kersarge Lakes. Next day started early and it was HOT!!! Made it to Roads End and up to Lower Tent Meadow. Going up Copper Creek there are beautiful wild bears (the one eating berries and not snickers)
                      >
                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > John, Yes, Grouse Lake on the 17th! I get a bonus night somewhere along Bubbs Creek, as I am coming in the day before over Kearsarge. Getting a later start than I would like, but am shooting for somewhere between Viddette Mdw. and Sphinx Creek Jct. on the 16th. Any recommendations for decent camping in that neck of the woods? Are you going to be traipsing around up in that area during that time?
                      > >
                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > John:
                      > > >
                      > > > We (Robert) are/is planning 5-6 days for the whole thing. He has done it
                      > > > before, I haven't.
                      > > >
                      > > > Joe

                    • sriprank
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
                        We were there mid-August 2012 at LTM. Plenty of water. If you end up camping before Grouse Lake and have enough water you can save some
                        climb and stay high around Grouse over the Pass. Roper's book was much more direct than Skurka's (map).

                        > Sriprank, thanks! I will probably want a bear box the first night as all of my food and first aid kit probably won't fit in my bearcan. Was the creek still flowing at Lower Tent Meadows last year when you were there. I remember a few side creeks crossing the trail before hitting Lower Tent Mdw, but they looked pretty seasonal. The only one I am counting on for water is the LTM creek. I have heard Lower Tent Mdws is known for the bears that hang out around there. It's good to hear they don't have to live off human food! Good to know about the Sphinx Creek Jct. That may have been pushing it a bit for a 11 - noon start at Onion Valley! Thanks again.
                        >
                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Junction Meadow is nice. Closer you get to Sphinx Juction you get Bears-Bears-and more Bears. There used to be Campgrounds at Charlotte Creek and Sphinx (with bear boxes) but didn't see them last year but we were moving. I did the same thing last year and we went over Kersarge late in the afternoon and made it down to Kersarge Lakes. Next day started early and it was HOT!!! Made it to Roads End and up to Lower Tent Meadow. Going up Copper Creek there are beautiful wild bears (the one eating berries and not snickers)
                        > >
                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > John, Yes, Grouse Lake on the 17th! I get a bonus night somewhere along Bubbs Creek, as I am coming in the day before over Kearsarge. Getting a later start than I would like, but am shooting for somewhere between Viddette Mdw. and Sphinx Creek Jct. on the 16th. Any recommendations for decent camping in that neck of the woods? Are you going to be traipsing around up in that area during that time?

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 14, 2013
                          Thanks again! When I did this trip 5 years ago, I overshot where I was supposed to exit the Copper Creek Trail and ended up going back down to Grouse Lake from that ridge. You're right, it would have been much easier to stay high and contour N/E around Grouse Pass. I was hiking with others that year and we set Grouse Lake as our meet up spot as our hiking paces were a bit different, otherwise I would have gone that way. We ended up going over Grouse Pass and camping at some small tarns on the North side of the pass. It was a great trip, bu very smoky that summer. We had very poor visibility on Windy Ridge which is supposed to be one of the better vistas.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@...> wrote:

                          > We were there mid-August 2012 at LTM. Plenty of water. If you end up camping before Grouse Lake and have enough water you can save some
                          > climb and stay high around Grouse over the Pass. Roper's book was much more direct than Skurka's (map).
                          >
                          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Sriprank, thanks! I will probably want a bear box the first night as all of my food and first aid kit probably won't fit in my bearcan. Was the creek still flowing at Lower Tent Meadows last year when you were there. I remember a few side creeks crossing the trail before hitting Lower Tent Mdw, but they looked pretty seasonal. The only one I am counting on for water is the LTM creek. I have heard Lower Tent Mdws is known for the bears that hang out around there. It's good to hear they don't have to live off human food! Good to know about the Sphinx Creek Jct. That may have been pushing it a bit for a 11 - noon start at Onion Valley! Thanks again.
                          > >
                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Junction Meadow is nice. Closer you get to Sphinx Juction you get Bears-Bears-and more Bears. There used to be Campgrounds at Charlotte Creek and Sphinx (with bear boxes) but didn't see them last year but we were moving. I did the same thing last year and we went over Kersarge late in the afternoon and made it down to Kersarge Lakes. Next day started early and it was HOT!!! Made it to Roads End and up to Lower Tent Meadow. Going up Copper Creek there are beautiful wild bears (the one eating berries and not snickers)

                        • vege_matic
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 15, 2013
                            I'd rather have snow than mozzies.