RE: [John Muir Trail] Weather by altitude

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013

      OK, 85F (high) at Cedar Grove next week (Tues) at 5000 ft and guess 65 -70 at 10,000 ft (Grouse lake).  I can live with that.

      thanks all,

      Joe

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 16, 2013
        On a related note. I'm planning to carry a Samsung Galaxy S 4.0. It's a player not a phone, but it has wifi, accepts a micro SD card and a small form factor. At 4.1 oz. plus 0.8 per battery (model: EB494353VU) it will provide text capability with Bluetooth sync to my InReach for enhanced function and communications, if needed; uses the Kindle app and carries a large library including Wenk, NOLS Wilderness First Aid manual, PDF docs (e.g., JMT crib sheet, manuals, etc.); stores a music catalog for a psych lift, if needed at some point (add 0.4 oz for headphones); and it has a back-up camera. It's fairly easy on batteries if used thoughtfully/sparingly. Weight penalty for the unit plus headphones and two batteries = 6.1 oz.

        > There have been a few discussions here over the past several months regarding what type of reading material to take on the JMT and whether an e-reader or other electronic device makes sense to carry. For a while now I have had my Kindle Keyboard on the packing list which weighs 8 ounces. It seems like paperbacks are getting larger recently in terms of format and size. Many weigh 8 ounces or more.
        >
        > However, looking at my bookshelf today I happened to notice that older paperbacks can sometimes be much smaller. Few examples from my bookshelf: Call of the Wild (2.55 ounces), Catcher in the Rye (4 ounces), Treasure Island (3.8 ounces), All Quiet on the Western Front (3.9 ounces).
        >
        > My new plan is to find smaller format paperbacks and take one with me to Yosemite Valley and ship another one to MTR. Either donate the one I carry from Yosemite Valley to the MTR hiker barrels or ship it home. But I need to find some things to read and betting that used bookstores should have many old paperbacks.
        >
        > Only downside is that I would have carried the Wenk guidebook on my Kindle and now I won't have it. But I will carry the compressed data points from the file section which is really what I need.
        >
        > Anyway, I've cut 4 ounces from my packing list and have one less fragile item to worry about that could require recharging.

      • fortunateblessings
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 16, 2013
          I neglected to properly sign off. Please forgive my manners.

          All the best,
          Mark