Re: Resupply at kearsarge

  • krishna9012
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 13, 2013
      Joe, Bob:

      Thanks! If I remember right last summer, the Charlotte Ranger kept all the bearboxes at Kearsarge locked up and put a notice right on the pass that they are not available even for over night usage. So other alternatives look like:

      1. Req the cousin to come with some good reading material and wait for my arrival, which means he needs a flexible permit to stay at Kearsarge,

      2. Ask him to keep the pkg with Berners at the Onion V CG & I hike those 6 miles to OV CG pick it up (camp there over night) and next day restart the hike back to JMT.

      3. Another variation on theme 2 would be camp at the Kearsarge first lake on the night of arrival, next day just take the backpack with bear proof container and day food, hike to Berners, pick up food, take a shower etc and hike back to Kearsarge back to my tent by pm.

      4. Just continue over the K pass on the day of arrival,go all the way down to OV CG. Try grab or share a walk-in CG. Contact Berner's, collect food and head back next day.

      Alt 3 seems more and more doable and wont bother anyone except my extra hike of 10.5 miles with a light pack! I will keep astronaut ice cream in this resupply to make it more enticing!

      Krishna

      > I'm betting the rangers aren't there for your convenience, otherwise people would be dropping food there all the time. Tell your cousins to enjoy the views and bring a good book, while they wait for you.
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2013
        Alternative 5: Have your cousin drop off resupply box in bear box at OV campground (in case the Berners can't hold it for you). Make sure to label and date the box.

        CHris.