Re: 0.4 lb weight loss per day leads to loss of strength and feeling less energetic in lean, active young men

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 12 8:05 PM
      Anyone contemplating the use of protein powders should make sure that they both enjoy/like them and that they feel good after eating them.

      It goes without saying that one should thoroughly test everything you're taking to make sure it works for you, but that seems even more so with protein powders as some people don't like the way they taste or can't find good things to mix them in and I've heard some reports of stomach upset with them. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with them, just that not everybody enjoys them.

      Myself, I've used hemp protein powder (a complete plant protein - contains all the essential amino acids the body needs) in smoothies as part of workout recovery, but I don't find it fits well into my trail diet.

      --John

      > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Builder's Choc Peanut Butter was 29.3% protein by weight and 112 per
      > > cal.oz
      > >
      > > The only one slightly better on these measures that I could find was
      > >
      > > PureFit Peanut Butter Choc Chip 31.5% protein by weight and 115 calories
      > > per oz.
      > >

      > One more comparison since I'm checking for my own purposes:
      >
      > Nido whole milk powder is more calories per ounce (142, a 24% increase in
      > calories per ounce) at a cost of lower protein by weight (26%, an approx
      > 13-15% decrease in protein)
      >
      > The protein powders are probably about 126 calories per ounce and 90%
      > protein by weight (these numbers from soy-based Muscle Milk - others will
      > differ)
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279

    • Jim White
      Message 38 of 38 , Jul 14 10:36 PM
        Added up our meat... Salmon jerky, beef jerky, beef sticks, bacon jerky, dried buffalo (Tanka), dried ground beef, dried ground pork sausage...

        Approx 20 pounds and $400+ for four of us on a 25 day hike plan.

        If that isn't enough protein, hopefully the 5 dozen dehydrated eggs will help.

        100 person x days of food is a daunting planning task.

        Jim