RE: [John Muir Trail] bear containers

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 12, 2013

      " Do I have to have I bear container or is it kosher to tie my food up in a tree?  what is the norm?"

      This is when I start to wonder . . . . yeah, Johni, you need a bear canister for the entire length of the John Muir Trail.

      Period.

      There are places, sections of the JMT where hanging your food is still supposedly legal and maybe even using one of those Ursacks is legal, but really, the hassle of carrying (weight/size) a canister far outweighs the hassle of trying to hang your food on the JMT, not to mention just dealing with it, should a bear come round.

      Buy or rent a canister and relax . . . there are much better things to do at the end of a long day than hang a bear bag.

      BOB

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 12, 2013
        The short answer: You need a bear canister big enough to hold all your food and other smellies each night

        Middle length answer: See Bob S post of 2 hours ag0

        Long answer: See this folder in our  links area

        A Bearikade rental is often the best solution. Ask for the 20% JMT hiker discount

        On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Johni Smith <smijohni@...> wrote:

        Do I have to have I bear container or is it kosher to tie my food up in a tree?  what is the norm?

        also....

        Does anyone know of any rideshare options out of southern oregon?

        Thanks for the help!

        Johni

      • Gail
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 12, 2013
          It's a 45% JMT discount. From the Wild Ideas FAQs:

          "Yes, we offer a 45% discount per Bearikade canister for through hikes of the following trails: John Muir Trail, Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail. Send an e-mail to rentals@... and we will assign a discount code for your trip."

          > The short answer: You need a bear canister big enough to hold all your food
          > and other smellies each night
          >
          > Middle length answer: See Bob S post of 2 hours ag0
          >
          > Long answer: See this folder in our links area

          > A Bearikade rental is often the best solution. Ask for the 20% JMT hiker
          > discount
          >
          > http://www.wild-ideas.net/rent-a-bearikade/
          >
          > John Curran Ladd
          > 1616 Castro Street
          > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          > 415-648-9279
          >

          > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Johni Smith <smijohni@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Do I have to have I bear container or is it kosher to tie my food up in a
          > > tree? what is the norm?
          > >
          > > also....
          > >
          > > Does anyone know of any rideshare options out of southern oregon?
          > >
          > > Thanks for the help!
          > >
          > > Johni

        • Prapanna Smith