Starting midway...acclimatization and resupply southern half

  • pdawg893
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
      So I will be starting at Florence Lake and entering for southbound there.

      A question regarding logistics, acclimatizing, and resupply:

      To try and stick to the 1000 feet per day for your first few days of sleeping, I have an idea of where I need and want to be on the first two days. The only problem is my mileage isn't very high for those two days to comply with this mantra.

      I really wanted to shoot for 13-17 miles a day, I am conditioned for it, have a very light load for it, but those first days seem to only net be about 10 miles a day.

      I am carrying a Bearikadede Weekender, and I can fit 5 days of food and carry my first nights food with me for a total of 6.

      My questions are these:

      1)those of you who are having someone meet you on the trail with your resupply (aka pack horse or friend)how accurate are you in your arrival? Since you are already acclimated and sleeping at certain elevations per day, it isn't a big deal for you if you were a through hiker from Reds or Yosemite, what are your normal or planned sleeping spots prior to Kearsage pass?

      2) I have never hiked down Kearsage to get a resupply....I'm afraid I'll get to town and decide a burger and beer will prevent me from returning to the trail.....is it tough down and then back up? If so then maybe a packer would be more beneficial to meet on the trail.

      3) Would I benefit more from starting at Bear Creek, going up and sleeping at the trail junction, doing a night below Selden, picking up a resupply at MTR, and then powering through at my prescribed 15 mile or more goal and be moving well by then? No matter what I would need a resupply at Charlotte/Kearsage...

      I appreciate any input.
    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
        Since you are flexible in your daily mileage you will probably be able to complete the 1/2 JMT in 8 days. You could probably figure out how to carry the extra couple of days of supply and skip exiting at Kearsarge. Kearsarge pass exits in Onion Valley which is probably 10-20 miles from Independence, CA. There's a car campground in Onion Valley but little else.

        A possible itinerary for you would be:

        1. McClure Meadow  (~17 miles)
        2. Big Pete Meadow (~17 miles)
        3. Palisade Lake (2) (~14 miles)
        4. Twin Lakes (~13 miles)
        5. Southern end of Rae Lakes (~13 miles)
        6. Tyndall Creek (~16 miles)
        7. Guitar Lake (~14 miles)
        8. Exit Whitney Portal (~16 miles)
        When you exit, are you going to go back to Florence Lake to get your vehicle?

        Larry

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
          Thanks Larry for the sample itinerary.

          That looks like a good one.   I have to look up the elevations of some spots you mentioned but it looks like the first night i'll be about 9600 feet on your estimate.  That's not terrible for my first night.  I'm not really paranoid about altitude sickness.  I've never been struck with it.  However, I am going solo this year and don't want to have any problems if I can avoid them.

          I will be summiting Whitney.

          As for 8 days of food in my can...I know I can carry one extra day at least...I'll have to consider how to get it done if I don't resupply.

          As for Florence, my folks live in Shaver Lake and I am getting dropped off.

          So i'll be hitching back up 395 and then taking YARTS to Yosemite valley or to Merced for a train.

          Thanks for the help....

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
            Shawn,

            Sounds like a cool trip.. be sure to keep a supply of aspirin. If you can take aspirin, it tends to thin your blood a little which will reduce the pressure in your brain a little. It seems to help with altitude. I'm sure you could find a wellspring of information about handling altitude on this forum too! Good luck and have fun!

            Larry

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013

              On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Larry Beck <becklaurence@...> wrote:
              be sure to keep a supply of aspirin. If you can take aspirin, it tends to thin your blood a little which will reduce the pressure in your brain a little.

              There have been favorable studies of Ibuprofen taken in the days before the trip and on the trip that have had favorable results. I talked to the researcher who suspected that other NSAID anti-inflammatories such as Naproxen (Aleve) would have the same effect. I'm not sure about aspirin, however. I didn't ask him

              Additional strategies such as staying well hydrated are also discussed in the links area

            • shawn peterson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                Thanks again Larry

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                  "I am conditioned for it, have a very light load for it, but those first days seem to only net be about 10 miles a day."

                  Even though you've got all the elements in place . . . you're conditioned, a light load and plenty eager to do miles, just remember you're coming from the flatlands, sort of––you're only gaining roughly what, 2,500 feet or so from Shaver to Florence, but still . . . a nice easy day to break it all in.

                  Florence to the Piute Creek Junction there at Franklin Meadow would be a good first day . . . you can hang that extra food off the bridge and then hit the switch-backs up into Evolution in the morning.  get your legs.

                  "3) Would I benefit more from starting at Bear Creek, going up and sleeping at the trail junction"

                  You'd want to start at the Bear Creek Cut-off trailhead and NOT the actual Bear Creek trailhead which is a slightly gnarly four-wheel drive back in a few miles . . . the Cutoff trailhead is just a few more minutes up the road, but doing this versus Florence will add a day to your trip.

                  I've started at the "BCCOT" a few times, as late as about noon and made it all the way to Marie Lakes by about 9-10 p.m. . . .

                  . . . but if I read this right and you would be sleeping at the trailhead and then churning out your big miles from early in the morning––you could totally be at the MTR in the evening, but . . . they'll be closed and you'll have to camp nearby . . . make your way across the river in the dark to get to Blaney hot springs . . . if you don't know where you're going, that's all better done in the light of day.

                  "I am carrying a Bearikadede Weekender, and I can fit 5 days of food and . . . "

                  I carry a Garcia, which has slightly less room than a Bearikade. Either you are hauling some large items or you are not trying (smashing) hard enough . . . I leave VVR with about 7-8 days of mountain house meals and then some, in there . . . considering the cost of a bearikade, it might be kind of late for you to get a larger one, but this would easily solve all your problems of whether or not to go out for a resupply.

                  "2) I have never hiked down Kearsage to get a resupply....I'm afraid I'll get to town and . . . "

                  Yes, you will––there's already a burger and bed located in Bishop, with your name on it, just begging you to come out of the mountains and give up on the last little bit of the trail . . .

                  I must have missed the part where you give the total amount of days you expect to do the trail in, but with all your fitness and mileage goals, getting out at Kearsage would be a waste of time.

                  If you've got the time, then go for it . . . I've never quite figured (bothered) out the equation of what it takes to hike out and come back in, versus just carrying the little extra weight of your food and just carrying on––especially when you're just so close to finishing.

                  I've met enough strong hikers out there, who either had to go out for a resupply, or they just wanted a "rest" day . . . and they never came back to finish.

                  BOB

                • pottertax
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                    I'll be doing the same Florence lake start in early Aug. I'm coming from 400 ft above sea level. My approach, 1 night at Huntington Lake, next night at Florence Lake, and an easy first day of hiking, just inside the border of Kings Canyon - and drink water like crazy those first few days.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "pdawg893" <pdawg893@...> wrote:

                    > So I will be starting at Florence Lake and entering for southbound there.
                    >
                    > A question regarding logistics, acclimatizing, and resupply:
                    >
                    > To try and stick to the 1000 feet per day for your first few days of sleeping, I have an idea of where I need and want to be on the first two days. The only problem is my mileage isn't very high for those two days to comply with this mantra.
                    >
                    > I really wanted to shoot for 13-17 miles a day, I am conditioned for it, have a very light load for it, but those first days seem to only net be about 10 miles a day.
                    >
                    > I am carrying a Bearikadede Weekender, and I can fit 5 days of food and carry my first nights food with me for a total of 6.
                    >
                    > My questions are these:
                    >
                    > 1)those of you who are having someone meet you on the trail with your resupply (aka pack horse or friend)how accurate are you in your arrival? Since you are already acclimated and sleeping at certain elevations per day, it isn't a big deal for you if you were a through hiker from Reds or Yosemite, what are your normal or planned sleeping spots prior to Kearsage pass?
                    >
                    > 2) I have never hiked down Kearsage to get a resupply....I'm afraid I'll get to town and decide a burger and beer will prevent me from returning to the trail.....is it tough down and then back up? If so then maybe a packer would be more beneficial to meet on the trail.
                    >
                    > 3) Would I benefit more from starting at Bear Creek, going up and sleeping at the trail junction, doing a night below Selden, picking up a resupply at MTR, and then powering through at my prescribed 15 mile or more goal and be moving well by then? No matter what I would need a resupply at Charlotte/Kearsage...
                    >
                    > I appreciate any input.

                  • pdawg893
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                      Hey Bob we met last year near Red's on the trail....

                      I appreciate the response.  I was thinking Paiute creek originally too to get a little more acclimated.  I figure after a day at Shaver and then a day at Piute I should be in good shape for being somewhat acclimated again.

                      I've been on several 2-3 dayers already this year and felt really good.  Albeit the last one was an easy trip on the Dinkey lakes loop with my 5 year old son for his first trip ever.

                      My base weight, before food and water is around 13 lbs.
                       As for bear creek trail, I've been on it from the Dan many many times.  I guess my thinking was if I travelled it (I can get dropped off no problem at the trail head) and slept along bear creek at 8500-9000 and then powered through the next day for a resupply at MTR and up to evolution valley to about 9500-10000 for better acclimatization was a thought.  But unlike your idea better and I've been on bear creek lots of times it's not like I'd be missin anything.

                      On the bear can....I just bought this bearikade and haven't used it.  I was going off what someone else said I could fit...so it sounds like I can probably get 7-8 days in it and carry my first day in my pack and hang it from the bridge.   Sweet.

                      I'm not young but in strong but either way the trip to onion valley  sounds like a potential siren convincing me to not go back.

                      Thanks agin for all the input

                      Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                    • Alex Cheng
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                        Just finished this section.

                        - No shortage of water right now. All water sources are good.
                        - Typical July, lots of mosquitos near water sources.
                        - Lakes (including Thousand Island & Gladys) are fairly warm and comfortable to swim in.
                        - Occasional thunderstorms in the late afternoon.
                        - No issues with snow.

                        wrote:

[...]

                        . . "
[...]

                        BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480
                      • robert shattuck
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 12, 2013
                           "No shortage of water right now. All water sources are good."

                          So there are eat least two water sources (both within about 45 minutes of the HD junction) after the Half Dome junction . . . the usual two that is???

                          and water at Sunrise, from the TAP???

                          BOB

                          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com